Flag raising ceremony starts off month of recognizing veterans

The American flag waved  high in the sky outside of Langsdorf Hall in honor of veterans at a ceremony on Thursday.

The event was hosted by Cal State Fullerton’s Veterans Resource Center, to commence a month dedicated to recognizing veterans.

We have several different events to honor and recognize our veterans, our student veterans, our military-connected students here on campus and bring awareness to the campus community while we celebrate all the contributions of those groups,” said Rochelle Woods, executive director for special populations.

The flag was presented by veterans who are members of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, Veterans Resource Center and representatives from University Police who had served in the military.

We’re part of the community, this is really in honor of the veterans for all their sacrifices and future veterans and we want to show our gratitude and respect for all of them,” said Raymund Aguirre, University Police chief.

The campus police came out to the event due to its partnership with the Veterans Association and because some University Police officers are veterans, said Capt. John Brockie.

“We’re part of the campus community, we want to show our support. We have many veterans in the police department,” Brockie said. “I’m a veteran and we just want to be a part of everything that’s about Titans.”

President Donald Trump asked for flags to be lowered to “half-staff” on Oct. 27 in “solemn respect” to the victims of the Pittsburgh shooting tragedy. The president’s executive order ended Oct. 31.

“We wanted to do it just as a symbol of our respect for all the fallen and to show our solidarity with the people of Pennsylvania,” said Maj. Jesus J. Cruz, department chair and professor of military science.

Cruz is in charge of the CSUF Army ROTC program and spoke after the flag was raised to half-staff.

When the (Veterans Resource Center) reached out and said, ‘Hey would you like to participate?’ First of all, I was very honored just to be asked. I feel like it’s a privilege to be out here and that’s kinda what started my involvement in this event,” Cruz said.

The Veterans Resource Center supports students who are connected to the military in their academic, personal and professional lives, and strives to guide students on their path to success, according to its website.

The flag raising ceremony is just one ceremony out of the 12 events in total that will span over the month of November. The events are devoted to honoring the United States Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force and the entire veteran community.