Khalil Ahmad named Big West player of the week for CSUF men’s basketball

In Men's Basketball, Sports
CSUF women's basketball
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan file photo)

Khalil Ahmad recieved Big West player of the week honors for his performance during the Myrtle Beach Invitational for men’s basketball.

The fourth-year guard out of Centennial High School averaged 25 points, four rebounds and three steals per game during the inaugural tournament held in South Carolina over the weekend.

He led the Titans to its first victory of a five-game road trip in the tournament finale versus Monmouth University 87-63.

Ahmad scored a career-high 40 points on 13-of-22 shots from the floor on Sunday. These shots included eight 3-pointers; the most he’s ever made in a Titans uniform.

He becomes the fifth player in Titans basketball history to score 40 or more points in a game, joining Bobby Brown, Tre’ Coggins, Josh Akognon and teammate Kyle Allman.

Not only did he find a rhythm behind the 3-point line in this game alone, Ahmad is shooting a career best 32.7 percent this season.

Cal State Fullerton looks to push its win streak to two games when play resumes on Wednesday in the David S. Mack Sports and Exhibition Complex against Hofstra University at 4 p.m.