Review: Binge-worthy Netflix shows for any occasion

In Lifestyle, Reviews
A girl watching Netflix on her laptop,
(Danielle Evangelista / Daily Titan)

Winter break is on its way, and with it comes plenty of time to snuggle up in bed and turn on some binge-worthy shows. But the hardest part of that is deciding what to watch.

The Netflix library is constantly expanding and its genre list is increasingly more diverse. There is a different show for every occasion and every type of viewer.

No two Netflix audience members are the same. Some people are looking for a good storyline, while others just want some good background noise. Some people are looking to laugh so hard they cry, while others want to cry so hard they laugh.

Background noise

College students are busy. Between classes, homework, studying, work, hanging out with friends or simply trying to find time to sleep, it is hard to keep up with the Netflix scene. Sometimes all you need is a good show that has an easy storyline to follow and a light-hearted tone so you can play it in the background while you do more important things, like eating or studying. These shows are perfect for that:

“Friends” – This show was ahead of its time and can be referenced in almost any situation. It is so versatile that it can be used as background study noise or full-on rainy day binge-watching material. Nothing is better than watching Matt LeBlanc strut around the screen during his best years.

“The Office” – The only show to ever give “Friends” a run for its money. The dry and sometimes almost unbelievably inappropriate humor will leave you speechless. Each episode can be watched as a stand-alone, and while you may not understand why Jim hates Dwight, the absurdity of it all will leave you laughing.

“Parks and Recreation” – This masterpiece starring Amy Poehler and Chris Pratt is the perfect show to watch while you shove Top Ramen down your throat at two in the morning because you forgot to eat all day. The storyline is easy to follow, but the character development and plot will throw you on an emotional roller coaster you didn’t think was possible for a series consisting of 30-minute episodes.

Other shows that fit into this category and can be streamed on Netflix are New Girl, The Ranch, Arrested Development and That ‘70s Show.

A good plot

College students are smart. They may not even realize it, but students really know their stuff when it comes to a good storyline. Though, sometimes they can be overly critical. Thankfully  Netflix has gotten it right and either produces good quality shows or adds top quality shows to its library.

“Sons of Anarchy” – As Jax Teller rides around on his Harley, you can’t help but to be completely enthralled by the dramatic ups and downs of his life, and the life of everyone else in the motorcycle club. The storyline is perfect for someone who enjoys emotional highs and lows.

“Mad Men” – This series surrounds Don Draper, a charismatic and attractive partner working for a prestigious advertising firm. The mystery behind his past life and the reason why he is a compulsive liar slowly unravels throughout the show. New York during the 1960s is the perfect setting to watch Draper lay on his office couch while drinking too much whiskey and coming up with ingenious advertising campaigns.

“The Walking Dead” – Who doesn’t want a post-apocalyptic TV show with a cop, a kid, a cheating wife and a motorcycle-riding introvert? This show details the devastatingly unfortunate story of Rick Grimes and his group of zombie-apocalypse survivors as they make their way from multiple safe havens trying to stay alive.

Some other shows that fit into this category and can be streamed on Netflix are Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, Grey’s Anatomy, Lost, Riverdale, Pretty Little Liars, The Fosters, Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, and Once Upon a Time.

Netflix Originals

“The Crown” – This is a great example of a well-done Netflix show. Based upon the reign of Queen Elizabeth, the story starts a little slow with a lot of background and history of the crown. However, as the season progresses, the show really gets into the struggles of always being in the spotlight. It does a great job of portraying the positives and negatives of a life a lot of people dream of having.

“Peaky Blinders” – The Shelby family is the head family of the gang Peaky Blinders. Tommy Shelby is the definition of cool. The show is set just after World War I in England and follows the family as they rise to success under the leadership of Tommy.

“Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life” – This is an example of a show that will make you cry so hard you laugh. Once you watch, you will remember how great the story of Lorelai and Rory’s loving mother-daughter relationship can be.

Some other shows that fit into this category and can be streamed on Netflix are Mindhunter, Orange is the New Black, Ozark, Black Mirror,  13 Reasons Why, Stranger Things, Happy Valley, House of Cards and Dear White People.

CSUF and CSUB tip off from Titan Gym.

Titans’ second half surge not enough in first round of CIT

The chapter of Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball, where the backcourt duo of Kyle Allman Jr. and Khalil Ahmad

Multilevel marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the