Daeja Smith, CSUF women’s basketball hosts Antelope Valley

In Sports, Women's Basketball
CSUF women's basketball guard Raina Perez fights through the Santa Clara University defense.
(Jessica Ruiz / Daily Titan).

A four-game win streak has put CSUF women’s basketball (6-4) in second place for the Big West. If they seal a win against the University of Antelope Valley on Friday, they’ll inch closer to the top spot.

After a three-game losing streak earlier in the season, the Titans have outscored opponents 261-221. Fullerton averages 67.7 points per game and center Daeja Smith leads the Titans by averaging 14 points per game. Since being named Big West player of the week on Nov. 12, Smith has dominated on the court by scoring 100 points in an eight-game span.

Forward Aimee Book has been a force off the bench for CSUF, particularly from 3-point range. In nine games played this season, Book leads the Titans shooting 48.5 percent outside the 3-point arc. As a team, CSUF is shooting 32 percent behind the arc.

Although Book has not started a game for Fullerton, she averages the fourth most minutes, behind Smith and guards Raina Perez and Jade Vega.

Forward Carolyn Gill and Smith lead the Titans with an average 6.4 defensive rebounds per game, which is nearly double the number of Vega’s second-place 3.1 rebounds on the defensive end.

Fullerton lacks strength in blocking shots from opponents. The Titans are averaging 3.4 blocks per game, and Smith leads the team with two blocks per game.

The Antelope Valley Pioneers are averaging over 90 points per game and are holding opposing teams to 66 points, which is 1 point less than Fullerton’s game average.

The defensive powerhouse from Antelope Valley shines in its steals per game and opponent turnovers. With an average of 17 steals and over 30 turnovers per game, it’s helped the Pioneers have the second best record (8-2) in the California Pacific Conference.

Guard and forward Samantha Earl may present one of the biggest troubles for the Titans, as she has a team-leading 18.3 points per game.

The matchup between Fullerton and Antelope Valley will tip off at 7 p.m. at Titan Gym.

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed

A photo of visitors at the Shwedagon Pagoda.

Column: A glimpse into Myanmar culture

California may be the Golden State, but about 7,785 miles across the Pacific Ocean is the “Golden Land” of