Review: The “Fall Dance Theatre” delivers strong performances to end the semester

In Lifestyle
Two dancers end up in an intimate embrace during a dance number.
(Daily Titan / Joshua Arief)

Little Theatre became home to an energetic series of beautiful dance performances on Thursday evening as Cal State Fullerton debuted its “Fall Dance Theatre” production. Coordinated by Gladys Kares, the “Fall Dance Theatre” delivered strong performances by the students as a whole. However, there were a few pieces like “In a State of Being” and “Organized Chaos” that were not eye-catching or appealing.

Dancers in pink dresses elegantly leaped and swayed on stage, as the evening began with “Bach for Joy,” a classical ballet piece. While the entirety of the performance was light and effervescent (as ballet should be), the dancers were at times out of sync with one another. Ultimately, “Bach for Joy” served as a great opening piece, since it wasn’t something that was too conceptual or abstract.

One highlight during the first act was “Derelict,” which was choreographed by Alvin Rangel. In “Derelict,” Rangel focuses on what happens to places after a natural disaster occurs and draws inspiration from the aftermath of Puerto Rico.

“Derelict” was emotionally powerful and interesting to watch. With tattered clothes, the dancers made strong, sharp movements and moved across the stage by either rolling on the floor or jumping. The music also differed greatly from the other performances in the first act since it was much more dramatic.

In “Sentry,” dancers moved as one cohesive unit across the stage. With a city landscape serving as background scenery, Emily Ploense’s choreographed piece clearly reflects the sharp contrast between freedom and busy city life.

In“Missing Piece,” dancers were dressed in dapper dresses and suits. One of the dancers conforms to working in the city, abandoning the freedom and energy he once cherished. The performance was another highlight during the first act, since the dancers worked well with one another and shined in their own individual moments.

“Recent Arrivals” was a particularly memorable performance during the second act. Guest artist Colin Connor choreographed “Recent Arrivals” and wanted to make the piece about immigrants that left their homeland to make it out in the new world.

Dressed in old-fashioned formal clothing, the dancers embraced feelings of loneliness and anticipation that travellers endure when heading to an unknown place. The performance proves powerful in today’s political climate and can serve as a reminder that everyone’s roots can go beyond the country they currently live in.

Closing “Fall Dance Theatre” was “The Light Within,” a performance choreographed by Macarena Gandarillas. The dancers were ethereal yet strong as they were able to execute impressive lifts. The love story also gave additional depth to the performance, though it did lag a little in the end.

Overall, “Fall Dance Theatre” delivered solid performances to help conclude the major fall dance and theatre productions for the semester. “Fall Dance Theatre” runs from Nov. 29 to Dec. 9 with tickets at $12 for students and $14 for non-students.