Former Fullerton police chief charged with battery

In Local News, News, Top Stories
Headshot of Fullerton Police Chief, David Hendricks who resigned on Friday.
Fullerton Police Chief David Hendricks resigned Friday after being put on paid administrative leave for roughly two months. (Fullerton Police Department)

Former Fullerton Police Chief David James Hendricks and Capt. Thomas William Oliveras Jr. were charged on Friday for battery on an emergency medical technician and for resisting and obstructing the investigation.

Hendricks could serve a maximum sentence of three years in county jail and Oliveras could serve two years in county jail for the misdemeanor charges.

Back in August, the policemen attended a concert with their wives while off-duty in Irvine. Emergency medical technicians were called for Hendricks’ wife who was in need of medical attention.

Hendricks allegedly pushed two of the EMTs and Oliveras allegedly held one in a headlock. Both are accused of delaying and obstructing the investigation, according to a press release from the Orange County District Attorney’s office.

The charge follows Hendricks retirement from the Fullerton police department last month, where he’d been on paid administrative leave since Aug. 25. Capt. Robert Dunn is serving as the interim police chief until the city council fills the position permanently in early 2019, according to a press release from the city of Fullerton in November.

Hendricks started working for Fullerton last year and previously served as the deputy police chief for the city of Long Beach.

Hendricks’ and Olivera’s arraignment is scheduled for Jan. 9, 2019  at 8:30 a.m. in Newport Beach.

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed

A photo of visitors at the Shwedagon Pagoda.

Column: A glimpse into Myanmar culture

California may be the Golden State, but about 7,785 miles across the Pacific Ocean is the “Golden Land” of