Review: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” reaches new heights

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV, Lifestyle, Reviews
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / Courtesy of Amazon Studios
Courtesy of Amazon Prime Studios

The social conservatism in New York during the 1950s only makes Miriam “Midge” Maisel much more marvelous as she breaks through stereotypes while blazing the comedic trail with sex, vulgarity and secrets throughout the 10-episode sophomore season of “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

If eight Primetime Emmy Awards and recent nominations for the Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild Awards weren’t reason enough to password steal someone’s Amazon Prime account, the laugh lines and agaped jaws will surely be the moneygrabber.

The second season of Amazon’s streaming show managed to top its freshman debut by upping its material with heart-palpitating, fleeting sequences that could make any person woozy.

Foul-mouthed manager Susie Myerson (Alex Borstein) and fast-talking comedian Midge (Rachel Brosnahan) are the R-rated version of Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz. The uptight values of society during the 1950s, especially regarding women, only makes the antics of the dynamic duo more hilarious.

Creator and writer Amy Sherman-Palladino kicked off the season without the same heavy hitters from last season. This bold move shifted the spotlight to the parents of Midge, Mr. and Mrs. Weissman, where they found themselves in a predicament that only catered to their relationship and tax bracket.

For Midge, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and the family of three sets the standard for each episode — and the season doesn’t disappoint.

Dull moments are rare with the slew of award-winning actors topping one another’s performance. Conversations don’t involve people talking with each other, rather it entails someone rambling at another person.

In proper Sherman-Palladino fashion, female empowerment takes the main stage. Three of the four main women in the show manage to accomplish several feats despite the odds stacked them. Women in the show either answer to their husbands, fathers or sons. Any ambition they have to succeed without their male counterparts is shattered by other women.

The misogynistic actions of the time period aren’t concealed, especially when Midge is in the room for a comedic act. In the show, the distinction between male and female comedians narrows down to two words: comedienne and girl comic.

To many men in the business, Midge is either a singer or housewife who expected to poorly sling jokes about washing dishes. Much to their dismay, she is the most vulgar out of the pack. The raunchier the performance, the bigger the laughs — no one is safe from the wrath of a stand-up comedian.

“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” draws parallels to Sherman-Palladino’s and her husband Daniel Palladino’s mother-daughter dramedy from the early 2000s, “Gilmore Girls.” The fast-talking duo from “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” who spend time at a diner and drink an unhealthy amount of coffee could easily be Lorelai and Rory Gilmore if the audience closed their eyes.

However, if viewers closed their eyes, they’d miss the captivating dance sequences, jaw-dropping backgrounds and the most popular songs of the decade. The phenomenal outfits that adorn the cast take the audience down a rabbit hole during America’s best dressed decade.

The nonchalant vibe, magnificent acting and impeccable writing throughout the 10 episodes carries the show to another award-winning season without a doubt. As lighthearted as the material can be, several of its storylines relate to present-day events and will make viewers realize that issues prominent during the ‘50s are still relevant today.

Borstein’s performance is show-stopping, yet again. Fresh off her Emmy win for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, the show could very well be hers. Borstein’s control over her storyline and her presence rarely go unnoticed in each scene she’s in. She is the walking definition of juxtaposition and the driving force behind shattered stereotypes which allow Midge to become the success story of Mrs. Maisel.

Members of the Womens Club of Fullerton discuss new charities that they are going to support and help fundraise for at their monthly meeting.

The Women’s Club of Fullerton serves local community

When Pallavi Patel saw the Women's Club of Fullerton volunteering for a fundraiser on a 103-degree-Fahrenheit day in October,

Danielle Rosales, a member of Ballet Folklorico de CSUF, dances on stage at the Soy Yo Festival in traditional folklorico attire.

Soy Yo Festival educates students on Latinx community

Tamales, pupusas, Flamin’ Hot Cheetos with warm nacho cheese sauce and creamy horchata — who wouldn’t be hungry with

Computer screens with mouths and expletives written.

Rise in hate speech online alters algorithm data

There needs to be more laws and regulations that bar the use of online hate speech, making it a