Voices from Home: The Pasillas family represents their city with the Rialto Print Company

In Lifestyle
The Pasillas family, father and sons, pose in front of their workspace for the Rialto Printing Company.
(Dominic Torres / Daily Titan)

Few people are aware of how much thought and time is put into a T-shirt design, but what began as an idea in high school became a passion for the Pasillas family. They feel the need to continue to create for the progression of their family.

“It is not a job, it is a career,” said Jose Pasillas, who started Rialto Print Company with his two sons Andrew and Marcos.

It all started at home in a garage with a machine that cost $300, printing one T-shirt at a time.

Plastisol ink requires heat above 330 degrees Fahrenheit in order to dry, but the Pasillas family did not have the means to dry the ink that was on the garments.

Jose purchased supplies at Home Depot and handcrafted a gadget that would potentially dry the inks. A construction lamp was screwed onto a few pieces of plumbing pipes and was held over the T-shirts to do the job.

Eventually, the team purchased a conveyor belt that automatically pushes garments through and dries them automatically.

Rialto Print Company is familiar with what it takes to make a quality T-shirt and how to charge the right price. To keep the company growing, Jose said he felt a need to put more money into the business. Eventually, he decided to take money out of his 401(k) retirement fund to purchase a $16,000 automatic screen printing machine.

Jose said this is the piece that will enhance the Pasillas family name and ultimately provide a platform for future generations.

Andrew Pasillas, his son, has already started planning for the future and said he has branched away from his dad to start his own screen printing business called Printmasters Inc. His goal is to establish multiple locations under the same company.

“Once we grow to a certain point we can start to acquire other businesses and merge it into

our company and just grow from there,” Andrew said.

He plans to open a primary location in Riverside, but continue to benefit the family name.

The Pasillas family said they represent the city of Rialto fairly well. Even though they may reach outside of the city, they will continue to stay in Rialto because it is where they live and it is where the business is.

Jose feels it is necessary to reinvest money back into the city for it to progress and keep other jobs in the community going.

The Rialto Print Company creates garments for multiple schools in Rialto. The Pasillas family chose the name because of its importance to the city.

“Why do we want to go to another place and spend that money?” Jose said. “We want to spend money here in Rialto and we want to be here in the city and supporting it.”