Review: Nintendo’s ‘Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’ is astonishing

In Gaming and Tech, Lifestyle, Reviews
A screenshot of the gameplay within Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
(Kristina Garcia / Daily Titan)

One last character of hope stands among countless perished heroes. In a snap, a slew of characters were met with their untimely demise; fighting till the last moments of their life, trying to save themselves and be the brave hero that saves the civilization around them. No, I’m not talking about “Avengers: Infinity War” — this is about Kirby and Nintendo’s “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.”

Nintendo has released several hits compatible with its popular Nintendo Switch game system. These favorites include but are not limited to “Super Mario Odyssey,” which sold 514,000 copies locally, “Splatoon 2” sold 631,000 copies locally and “Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Let’s Go, Eevee!” sold 552,000 locally.

But these sales are nothing compared to the estimated 1.3 million copies of “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” sold in Japan alone, making it the highest-selling Switch and Smash Bros. game within the first week of its release, according to Nintendo Life.  

After several games within the Smash series were released, creators have finally listened to fans. This is the first Smash Bros. game to feature all of the characters in Smash Bros. history, including a few extras.

As of now “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” has a character roster of 74, if the Pokemon Trainer is counted as one character. Along with future DLC characters, the roster may boost to an estimated 81 characters.

Enough with all the extra information that nearly every Smash fan already knew about prior to the game’s release, the real selling point is the gameplay. But is it worth the almost $60 price tag?

The answer is yes, absolutely, 100 percent. It is the best reason to buy a Switch and binge through a game full of content.

Unlike “Super Smash Bros.” for Wii U, unlocking characters are much more challenging, adding to the binge-worthiness of the game. Playing “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” will bring gamers back to the days of rage quitting, screaming at the television and wanting to break that almost $50 wireless GameCube controller you bought specifically for Smash Bros.

But “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” encompasses more than the simple win-or-lose character-gaining scenarios, players are given another chance to fight against locked opponents they lost against the first time around in a feature known as the Challenger’s Approach.

Players no longer have to feel upset about being defeated by Villager from “Animal Crossing;” play this feature and no one has to know you lost against an overpowered little boy or girl, depending on skin changes.

“Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” is notorious for Friday night gaming, where every friend acts as the cocky, reigning champion in Smash Bros. — until repeatedly beating each other into a much smaller ego. But although most memories are garnered by the people one plays with, the developers made solo mode just as addicting.

The game’s adventure mode, World of Light, follows Kirby, everyone’s favorite pink fluff ball, as he explores the enormous map and fights through foes and locked characters in order to awaken the rest of the roster. Adventure mode is complete with obstacles that make certain areas closed off until gaining a Spirit is used to remove the barricades blocking the paths.

Spirits are a new element in the Smash series that aren’t just used as collectible trophies. Spirits are utilities spanning across Nintendo’s history of countless games. In “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate,” the Spirits are unlocked and used as perks to help fighters in their journey.

Although the Spirits are used to help players, the weaker the player’s Spirit team the more rewards the player wins at the end of every battle won. This gives players the ultimatum of an easy win with less reward, or a difficult win with more rewards to pocket.

“Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” almost sounds too good to be true, but the game does have its flaws. Its online gameplay has severe connection problems and lagging.

But at the very least, the same lag is experienced by all players in the match, although this doesn’t mean it makes playing online any less irritating.

Players have also had trouble being placed in matches within the rules they’ve chosen, with many getting thrown into random matches, which throws preferences right out the window.

“Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” may need work online, but overall the game features excellent gameplay and leaves gamers with constant room to continue expanding their play time.

Members of the Womens Club of Fullerton discuss new charities that they are going to support and help fundraise for at their monthly meeting.

The Women’s Club of Fullerton serves local community

When Pallavi Patel saw the Women's Club of Fullerton volunteering for a fundraiser on a 103-degree-Fahrenheit day in October,

Danielle Rosales, a member of Ballet Folklorico de CSUF, dances on stage at the Soy Yo Festival in traditional folklorico attire.

Soy Yo Festival educates students on Latinx community

Tamales, pupusas, Flamin’ Hot Cheetos with warm nacho cheese sauce and creamy horchata — who wouldn’t be hungry with

Computer screens with mouths and expletives written.

Rise in hate speech online alters algorithm data

There needs to be more laws and regulations that bar the use of online hate speech, making it a