Aggies trample CSUF women’s basketball

In Sports, Women's Basketball

UC Davis defeated CSUF women’s basketball 75-39 behind Aggies forward Morgan Bertsch’s 19 points, six rebounds and four assists.

The game was ultimately decided in the first quarter when the Aggies went on an 11-2 run in the last six minutes.

Stellar shooting from the three combined with suffocating defense allowed the Aggies to dominate the game from start to finish.

Forwards Cierra Hall and Nina Bessolo both had very efficient nights, shooting 80 percent and 57 percent from the field respectively. They had 11 points and three rebounds each, including four 3-pointers between the two.

The Titans shot below 30 percent from both the field and the three along with only seven assists on the night. Despite low percentages, Head Coach Jeff Harada felt that shot selection nor ball movement were the issue for the game.

“I wouldn’t say we didn’t get good looks, I think we just didn’t make shots. I thought we had some looks that normally go down for us that didn’t,” Harada said.

CSUF had a much better second half in comparison to their first, in which they only scored 15 points to the Aggies’ 38.

Center Daeja Smith had a fairly quiet game, recording seven points and three rebounds in 28 minutes of play.

Smith is heavily involved in the Titans’ offensive gameplan, averaging 10 field goal attempts per game. The Aggies swarmed Smith with lengthy defenders, limiting her to just six attempts from the field.

“They have some 5-foot-10, 6 foot guards guarding our 5-foot-4 post guards, so just getting the entry passes in to Daeja was a little tough,” said Harada.

However, the Titans had some bright spots in the contest. Forward Amiee Book recorded eight rebounds, four assists, a block and a steal on the night, showing grit on both ends.

Guard Hannah Thompson recorded a team-high 10 points, shooting 2-for-5 from the three and a steal on the defensive end.

Raina Perez played a game-high 37 minutes and was aggressive at the basket, but struggled to finish at the rim.

Perez finished with eight points, shooting 29 percent from the field.

Harada had high praise for the Aggies play after the game.

“They’re the defending champs in the conference, I think, regular season for three straight seasons. They know how to win, they know what it takes and we’re still learning,” Harada said.

After dropping below Cal State Northridge in the conference standings, Harada said the Titans are looking forward to their matchup on Thursday night.  

CSUN currently holds second place in the Big West, while CSUF sits tied for third place with UC Irvine.