Associated Students’ president resigns after one semester

(Joshua Arief / Daily Titan)

On Thursday, Jan. 10, Cal State Fullerton’s Associated Students, Inc. announced that Joshua Borjas, their president and CEO, resigned and would be replaced by Ana Aldazabal, the vice president.

Borjas resigned for academic reasons and stepped down before spring of 2019.

It’s important for people to understand that the ASI president is a student leadership position. Student first.” Borjas said. “I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying to stay in the position knowing that I didn’t serve my central duty as a student. How am I supposed to serve my students if I’m not doing well myself?”

His replacement, Aldazabal, will be in charge of finding a new vice president.

The question over who will become the next ASI Vice President is still being discussed among several ASI executives, including: Kaetlyn Hernandez, chief communications officer, Rebecca Hesgard, chief campus relations officer and Meghan Waymire, chief governmental officer.  Together, they said they hope to fill the post quickly.

The vacancy was posted on Instagram. Once the applicants are interviewed, a candidate will be chosen and then be evaluated and confirmed by the Board of Directors.

It should be ASI’s top priority. The last time I talked to ASI leaders and professional staff, it should be filled as soon as we can. Applications are out, and I imagine a vice president will be selected before mid-February,” Borjas said.

Despite his stepping down, both Borjas and Aldazabal wanted to make it clear that their long term goals for the spring semester have not been changed or derailed. The goal for a new vice president would be to find someone who shares their goals.

“We plan on picking someone that can share our vision. We plan on executing the same things we were doing in the fall [into] the spring, making them better and sticking with the goal of really being here for historically marginalized communities, bringing more diversity into ASI and being more inclusive.” Aldazabal said.

Borjas talked about how much positive student reaction ASI had seen on campus.

“We’re doing a great job with engaging and connecting with people, from word of mouth, we’ve heard a lot of students really enjoyed this year in ASI,” Borjas said.

Borjas has served on ASI for the last year and a half. He originally was a representative from the College of Communications on the Executive Board before running to be ASI President of the 2018-2019 academic year.

After the disqualification of Celine Moubayed and Colin Eacobellis for breaking organization bylaws, Borjas and Aldazabal were elected by 60 percent of the vote.

“I have such a love and respect for Josh as an ASI president. He and Ana came in on a platform and basically they’ve set so many things in motion, that Ana will be able to fulfill,” said Keya Allen, ASI’s Associate Executive Director. “Ana will be able to keep the machine rolling. She’s in it now, and she’s been by his side the whole time, so there’s really no big transition there.”

Aldazabal reiterated her goal to host a second Town Hall meeting, as well as multiple round table meetings with different organizations on campus, allowing students from different walks of life to communicate their views.

Along with implementing those events, Aldazabal said she  wants to implement solutions for issues that students brought up during last semester’s round table meetings as well as further serve and listen to underrepresented communities on campus.

Aldazabal plans to work with Chase Sheriff, the new representative to the Board of Directors for the College of Engineering and Computer Science, to hopefully include the CSUF Indigenous community in the next set of round table talks.

Of course we’re going to miss him, but we still remember what our goal here is. It is to be here for the students and to make sure that we’re making the students’ lives better, and providing them more resources,” Aldazabal said.

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated