CSUF guard Kyle Allman named Big West player of the week

In Men's Basketball, Sports
Kyle Allman Jr. attempts jump shot

CSUF men’s basketball guard Kyle Allman Jr. was named Big West player of the week for the fourth time in his career.

The fourth-year player out of New York led the Titans to two consecutive conference wins against UC Riverside and Long Beach State after dropping its first two games of Big West play.

After failing to reach double figures in scoring for the first time this season in a 63-46 loss to UC Irvine on Jan. 12, Allman Jr. averaged 25.5 points while shooting 61.5 percent from the field in his last two games played.

He scored 21 points, converting seven of his 11 shot attempts in a 69-61 win against UC Riverside, handing the Highlanders its ninth consecutive loss on the road.

This was the first win of the calendar year, which snapped a three-game losing streak for the Titans.

Allman Jr. responded with another scoring outburst two days later, notching 30 points versus Long Beach State in a 92-90 win that went to overtime.

He was fouled twice in the final 21 seconds of overtime to earn trips to the free throw line. In front of the 49ers home crowd of 2,312, Allman Jr. made all four free throws to help Cal State Fullerton secure their first win on the road after losing eight straight to begin the 2018-19 season.

The 6-foot 4-inch guard’s 18.5 points per game average ranks third among Big West players.

CSUF men’s basketball will resume play 7 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 24 versus UC Santa Barbara at Titan Gym. The Gauchos are undefeated in conference games this season (3-0).