Devil’s Advocate: Living on campus gets students involved at CSUF

In 2019 Student Life, Devil's Advocate, Opinion
a person walking and a car driving in front of two buildings
(Rebecca Mena / Daily Titan)

Most students at CSUF choose to spend hours behind the wheel rather than pay the high cost of living near or on campus. However, commuting doesn’t fully allow an individual to get involved with on-campus activities, and not being involved means students are missing the most meaningful college experience they can possibly have.

CSUF is considered to be a commuter school, so the average student will only show up to take their classes, leaving as soon as they end. This means that students won’t be on campus long enough to learn about the resources and clubs that are offered.

Even though adding to the long list of things students have to juggle can be hard, joining clubs or being a part of a group gives people the chance to build up their resume, have experiences that may help further their career and form lasting friendships that make the long years of pursuing a degree seem worth their time and tears.

Students who don’t live within walking distance to campus may find it difficult to commit their time to activities outside of the classroom. Having to drive back to campus for a club meeting that starts long after class has ended is something a commuter may not find worth their time and will probably discourage any further efforts to get more involved.

But clubs are great things to include on a resume and will help members land the job they’ve spent years training for. Living on or near campus makes it easier to get to meetings and requires less travel time.  

While classes are an important part of the college journey, students can learn more if they go beyond the classroom. Students take classes and try to learn everything they think they’ll need to know, which is useful.

However, firsthand experience can put what they’ve learned in the classroom to practice and is the best way for students to gain a truly valuable education. This can be done through joining clubs that pertain to a student’s degree.

Most importantly, getting involved helps to build a community on this campus and make a person’s time in college less stressful and more memorable.

Stress-free and college are probably two words that most students would never use in the same sentence. But being a part of a club, organization, sorority or fraternity may allow students make new friends and have more fun in college, which ultimately relieves some of those daily stresses that all students face.

Mariana Orozco, a CSUF student and communications major,  has been involved in many different groups on campus over the past five years. Some of those groups include the sorority Alpha Delta Pi, and Project Shine, a service-learning program where students volunteer at community colleges to help others learn English.  

After living in the dorms her first year, Orozco now lives in apartments within walking distance to campus.  

I think by living close by, you get to be on campus more, which kind of helps networking and getting to know others,” Orozco said. “Sometimes I’ll meet different people by just being at the library or going to events. I kind of expand my circle and get more connections.”

While being a commuter and getting involved is not impossible, it isn’t exactly easy. Understandably, students have other responsibilities that may have to come before social activities but if students are financially able to live in the dorms or apartments near campus, it is definitely something to take advantage of.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a