Landon Kirkwood leaves CSUF men’s basketball team

In Men's Basketball, Sports, Top Stories
Now-suspended Cal State Fullerton guard Landon Kirkwood dribbles as basketball during a game in 2018.
Landon Kirkwood played for Cal State Fullerton during the 2017-18 season, but has not suited up for the university during the 2018-19 campaign after being served with a domestic violence restraining order. (Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Titans guard Landon Kirkwood has left the CSUF men’s basketball team, the athletics department confirmed to the Daily Titan after removing Kirkwood from its public roster page.

Kirkwood’s removal comes on the heels of the team quietly suspending him for over a month amid domestic violence allegations, and only confirming the suspension when made aware of the Daily Titan’s investigation.

The Orange County Superior Court issued an emergency protective order to Kirkwood’s then-girlfriend Alexis Renea Barkley on Oct. 28, 2018, followed by a domestic violence restraining order on Nov. 2, 2018, court records show. Both of those orders expired when neither Barkley nor Kirkwood appeared at a court hearing on Nov. 21, in Barkley’s case because she had already left the state.

According to the emergency order, Barkley accused Kirkwood of grabbing and throwing her to the ground to prevent her from leaving his apartment, then pulling her out of her vehicle and throwing her down again to take her phone on Oct. 28. The CSUF police officer who signed the emergency protective order for Barkley said that there were “visible injuries on Barkley.” Barkley posted photos of her injuries on Facebook on Oct. 30, as part of a 1,330-word post.

It is Daily Titan’s policy to omit the names of people who are reported to be victims of domestic violence, but Barkley widely publicized her account on Facebook and spoke freely to the Daily Titan.

One month before Barkley obtained her restraining order against Kirkwood, University Police arrested her on suspicion of domestic violence, according to University Police Capt. Scot Willey. A spokesperson for the Orange County District Attorney’s office said that the September case against Barkley was not pursued due to “lack of sufficient evidence.”

Kirkwood did not play in a single game for the Titans this season following the suspension.

At the time of the original report on Kirkwood being suspended, the CSUF Dean of Students Hallie Hunt declined comment on the situation, citing FERPA despite it not applying in this case due to an exception in the law that states “an institution may disclose to anyone — not just the victim — the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, if it determines that the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense, and with respect to the allegation made against him or her, the student has committed a violation of the institution’s rules or policies.”

Hunt said the school was “still unable to comment on this situation.”