The best and worst of the 2019 Super Bowl commercials

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV, Lifestyle
Two people standing in front of a TV and looking at a commercial that reads "DEVOUR" and "FROZEN FOODS."

Millions of viewers tuned in to watch football during the 2019 Super Bowl but the real attraction was the commercials. Advertisements that play during the break draw in a much broader audience as non-sports enthusiasts can enjoy the humor without knowing anything about football.

Each second of airtime during the Super Bowl cost $175,000 and each 30-second advertisement cost over $5 million, according to AL.com. While some Super Bowls deliver a goldmine of meme-worthy content, this year’s game was one to forget as the Los Angeles Rams lost to the New England Patriots 13-3.

Not even the commercials could have saved the NFL from the drudge match that took place, but a few good ones left a memorable impression.

The most interesting thing that happened before halftime was when Steve Carell, Cardi B and Lil Jon collaborated on the “Pepsi is OK” commercial in a rendition of Cardi B’s song “I Like It.” Michael Bublé stole the show in Bubly’s Sparkling Water ad that poked fun at the pronunciation of his peculiar last name.

Amazon and Bud Light together spent over $20 million to air their commercials. While most of the Super Bowl advertisements had 30 seconds to a minute of screen time, both Amazon and Bud Light had over a minute total.

It’s no surprise that the bigger brands had longer and better commercials. Some of the best advertisements came from Google, Microsoft and Toyota.

Microsoft’s two-minute commercial tugged at heartstrings while promoting its new adaptive controller using anecdotal stories from young gamers with disabilities. “We all win” serves as a memorable slogan that showed Microsoft’s initiative to create accessible technology to increase opportunity.

Both of Google’s commercials, “Job Search for Veterans” and “100 Billion Words”, used ethos as an appeal. With the first ad featuring the site’s utility in job search and the latter eliminating language barriers to create unity, Google successfully captured the diverse audience that watched the game.

Out of the four auto commercials that aired during the Super Bowl, Toyota took the trophy for having the most noteworthy idea by ingeniously paralleling Antoinette “Toni” Harris, the first woman to play collegiate football on a scholarship, with the strength of the RAV4 hybrid.

That being said, Mercedes-Benz is definitely runner-up in the automobile commercial department for effectively highlighting the voice command function of their A-class sedan through hilarious and amusing exaggerations of other non-vehicle related commands.

While there were many memorable moments, there were also commercials that no one will remember at all.

Luke Wilson’s role as a “close talker” in Colgate’s ad made for a very unnerving 30 seconds. The only thing memorable about this commercial was how uncomfortable it undoubtedly made everyone feel.

On the subject of bad memories, the Bon & Viv Spiked Seltzer ad kicked off the Super Bowl with too much CGI and women who are too grown to play mermaids. For an ad directed toward adults, it’s premature.

The Washington Post’s Democracy Dies in Darkness message closed out the commercials on a more serious tone, advocating for the justice of journalists lost in the line of duty. The Post emphasized that journalists are a part of democracy as they hold the government accountable while safeguarding the interests of readers.

Ultimately, the 2019 Super Bowl wasn’t very memorable and neither were the commercials.