Catching up with this year’s Grammys

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV, Lifestyle
An illustration of Alicia Keys with her arms out as three Grammy awards float above her head.

Fifteen time Grammy winner Alicia Keys hosted the 61st Annual Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday night.

Alicia Keys opened the show with Jada Pinkett Smith, Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga and Michelle Obama with a speech on the power of music. Michelle Obama quieted down the audience after 11 words.

“Alright. We have a show to do,” Obama said.

Performances

Camila Cabello was the first to perform, singing “Havana” with J Balvin and Ricky Martin.

Shawn Mendes showed his biceps and triceps tattoos, played the piano and sang “In My Blood.” Then, Mendes grabbed his guitar and met Miley Cyrus on stage to finish the song together.

After Post Malone performed “Stay” and “rockstar” from his album “beerbongs & bentleys,” he met Red Hot Chili Peppers on stage. Red Hot Chili Peppers then performed “Dark Necessities” while Post Malone played the guitar.

Miley Cyrus, Little Big Town, Katy Perry, Maren Morris and Kacey Musgraves celebrated Dolly Parton in a tribute that encapsulated the best of Dolly herself.

Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry kicked it off with “Here You Come Again,” and Dolly Parton and Miley Cyrus sang Parton’s classic “Jolene.”

Next, Maren Morris got together with Miley Cyrus and Dolly Parton, and all three sang Neil Young’s “The Gold Rush,” which Parton covered many times.

Afterward, Little Big Town and Dolly Parton sang “Red Shoes,” and all the artists came together and sang “9 to 5.”

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance nominee Cardi B performed “Money.” During her performance, that camera panned to show Offset supporting her in his own unique way.

Lady Gaga went full went full rockstar and performed “Shallow” from “A Star Is Born.” She wore nothing but rhinestones from her eyelids to her microphone. She stomped her stiletto heel on the stage and lifted the microphone stand as she sang with sincere emotion.

Some Winners

For the second time, Drake won Best Rap Song. In 2017, he won for his track “Hotline Bling,,” and this year he won for “God’s Plan.”

In his acceptance speech, he said that those who are working hard in the music industry do not need to be at the Grammys to feel recognized. The fact that people pay money to see artists perform regardless of how famous they are shows true success.

Dua Lipa won Best New Artist. Tears flowed down her cheeks when they announced her name.

In her acceptance speech, Dua Lipa stated, “For anyone who hasn’t realized how special they are to have a different story or background, just know that no matter where you’re from, never let that get in the way of your dreams.”

Cardi B’s album “Invasion of Privacy” won Best Rap Album. She delivered a speech with Offset by her side.

In total, Cardi B was nominated for five Grammy awards, from Best Rap Performance to Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.

Stars who didn’t show

Ariana Grande, the winner of Best Pop Vocal Album, announced on Instagram that she was sad that she was not attending the award show. Grande’s caption stated, “i know i’m not there tonight (trust, i tried and still truly wished it had worked out tbh).”

Best Music Video went to Childish Gambino’s “This Is America.”

Time magazine stated that Gambino declined the Grammys performance invitation. Since he turned down the opportunity, he neither attended nor performed at the event. On the other hand, he attended pre-Grammys mixers that happened in Los Angeles.

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper won Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, but only Gaga accepted the award in person, and said that Cooper could not make it because he is in the United Kingdom.

[su_divider size=”6″]