CSUF College Republicans speaker event cancelled

Rubin was set to speak in the TSU, but may return at a later date.
(Joshua Arief Halim / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton College Republicans were set to host political commentator and host of the podcast “The Rubin Report”, Dave Rubin last week, but canceled the event.

The event was cancelled by the College Republicans to avoid having to pay any cancellation fees for the venue because Rubin had still not confirmed if he would be speaking the following day.

The Republicans set a 3:30 p.m. deadline on Jan. 28 which they needed to know for sure whether or not Rubin would be coming, but since no one answered their email in time, they were forced to cancel the event.

There were some last minute issues that arose relating to costs and they had considered a cancellation,” said Brooke Paz, president of the College Republicans. “We had a 3:30 firm deadline and unfortunately, we didn’t hear back from them until after that deadline, so we had to go forward and cancel.”

The groups discussed cost issues for over two weeks, with Rubin’s association bringing up the idea of cancelling the event, according to Paz.

“We’ve been talking with them about the ticket and cost issues for the past two weeks, and like I said, we gave them that deadline and they weren’t able to reach us until afterward, so we just had to make a decision and we’ll see if we can make something happen,” Paz said.  

After announcing the event’s cancellation via social media, the College Republicans refunded all the tickets, with the hope that anyone who bought tickets would be able to return if the event was rescheduled for a later date.  

Despite the cancellation, both Rubin and the College Republicans are interested in rescheduling the event, possibly at a smaller venue or with a reduced ticket price.

We’re still in talks with Dave (Rubin) about how we can possibly reschedule in the future for some different event or something of that nature. It just didn’t work out for the timing with this time,” Paz said.

Helen Yeoman-Shaw, an executive assistant to Rubin, also stated that Rubin did not want the event to be cancelled and is interested in potentially returning.    

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller briefing President Barack Obama about the Boston Bombing

Mueller report finds no evidence of Trump conspiring with Russia

The investigation of President Donald Trump and his campaign led by Robert S. Mueller III was released Sunday. The report

Editorial: From Michelle Obama to Malala Yousafzai, women deserve to be recognized

As a nod to Women’s History Month, it is important to have this special women’s issue to remind everyone

A drawing of alexandria ocasio-cortez with two other women standing behind her and a flag also with the symbol for female is behind them

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a powerful presence in politics

The Democrats have a new media darling worthy of the spotlight: New York House of Representatives member Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,