CSUF men’s basketball cruise past UC Riverside

In Men's Basketball, Sports
CSUF men's basketball forward Jackson Rowe attempts a layup against UC Irvine.
CSUF men's basketball forward Jackson Rowe had five points in the Titans' loss to UC Irvine. (Megan Garcia / Daily Titan)

The CSUF men’s basketball team bounced back from their loss against UC Irvine to a 77-54 win on the road against the UC Riverside Highlanders, sweeping the season series.

Titans guard Kyle Allman, Jr. led the Titans with 30 points shooting 4-for-7 from three-point range .

With the Titans leading 37-28 at halftime, they came out playing with confidence and started the second half on a 10-2 run to establish a lead it would not relinquish.

The Titans led by 17 points beginning the second half and the momentum was on their side. CSUF maintained a double-digit lead for the entire second half.

UC Riverside guard, Dikymbe Martin, struggled on the offensive end in the second half making  one of his seven shot attempts from the field after scoring 14 points in the first half.

The Titans increased their lead by 20 points with a couple of free throws by freshman guard Wayne Arnold midway through the second half. UC Riverside tried to climb their way back into the game and started to find their rhythm, trimming the Titans’ lead to 14 points with contribution from freshman forward Zac Watson with 13 points on 6-for-7 shooting.

CSUF men's basketball forward Johnny Wang shoots a free throw during the Titans game versus UCI.
CSUF men’s basketball forward Johnny Wang shoots a free throw during the Titans game versus UCI. (Megan Garcia / Daily Titan)

The Highlanders struggled from the three-point line shooting 4-for-22 (18.2) and from the free-throw line shooting 6-14 (42.9). With five minutes left in the second half, the Titans went on an 11-0 run to put the game out of reach for UC Riverside.

The Titans shot 27-for-53 (50.9) from the field, 8-for-13 from three and 15-for-19 (78.9) from the free -throw line.

Kyle Allman Jr. was hot from behind the arc late in the first half, shooting three consecutive 3-point shots to give the Titans a nine point lead at the half. UC Riverside guard Dikymbe Martin started strong scoring the first 10 points for his team. The Highlanders led most of the first half with their biggest lead being by six points at, 21-15. On the 5:08 mark of the first half led, 23-21, which would also be their last lead of the game.

Titans guard Khalil Ahmad contributed with 13 points and shot 3-for-4 from behind the arc, while guard Austen Awosika had a game-high 11 assists.

Cal State Fullerton is 6-3 in conference play which puts them in third place in the Big West.