CSUF women’s basketball dealt fifth straight loss by UC Irvine

In Sports, Women's Basketball
CSUF women's basketball guard Raina Perez leads the Titans in assists per game with 5.1.
(Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team fell to UC Irvine with a score of 65-61, marking the Titans’ fifth consecutive loss. The women sit in seventh place in the Big West with a record of 3-6.

Four Titans scored in double figures, including Daeja Smith, leading the way with 14 points, Jade Vega and Aimee Book contributing 13 points each, and Raina Perez adding 10 points of her own.

Carolyn Gill also set the tone defensively as she grabbed 18 rebounds.

The Titans jumped to an early 5-0 lead as Book provided the first two baskets of the game.

This was the fourth consecutive start for Book, as she has come off the bench the majority of the season. She has scored in double figures in each of her last three games.

Despite the quick start by CSUF, they found themselves down 18-13 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter saw the Titans bounce back and outscore the Anteaters 22-10, giving themselves a 35-28 lead heading into the locker room.

Heading into the game against UCI, the Titans were 7-0 when leading or tied after the first 20 minutes of play. This is the first time CSUF lost after heading to the halftime break with a lead or tie this season.

In the third quarter, the Titans outscored the Anteaters 19-14, with eight of those points coming from Vega.

The Titans started the fourth quarter with a 12-point lead.

The Titans held UCI’s leading scorer Jordan Sanders to just eight points after the first three quarters. Sanders currently sits at second in the Big West in scoring, with an average of 20.7 points per game.

Sanders erupted, scoring 10 of her team’s 23 points in the fourth quarter.

The Titans struggled on both ends of the floor in the fourth quarter as the Anteaters outscored the Titans 23-7 in the final ten minutes of play.

The Titans played the last 2:44 without Gill after she fouled out. This hurt the team as she was the most productive on defense, since she made 18 rebounds and also tallied a team-high four blocks and a steal.

As the time was winding down, the Titans surrendered the go-ahead field goal to UCI’s Sanders and UCI took the lead with eight seconds left in the game.