CSUF women’s basketball looking to end losing skid

In Sports, Women's Basketball
CSUF women's basketball guard Jade Vega has started in 19 of 20 games for the Titans this season.
(Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

With both teams on the opposite sides of the spectrum, CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their three-game losing streak against UC Riverside on Thursday.

After starting the season 11-6, CSUF hit a road bump on Jan. 26 when they lost to UC Davis 75-39. That performance was followed by another 30-plus point loss, this time against Cal State Northridge 74-44 a few nights later.

Despite these low scoring outputs, CSUF has the third highest scoring offense in the Big West Conference at 63.5 points per game behind UC Irvine (74.1) and UC Davis (70.9).

The root cause of the Titans’ offensive struggles during this losing skid has been the inability to knock down 3-pointers, as they’ve made just 10 of their 55 shot attempts from behind the arc.

In the game versus Long Beach State on Feb. 2, CSUF women’s basketball nearly erased a 22-point deficit, but converted only 20.8 percent of their 24 3-point shot attempts.

This will be the first game of a two-game road trip for the Titans. Although the relatively identical home and away records suggest that CSUF has no set preferences on how to play, the team is at its peak when center Daeja Smith finds rhythm offensively.

Fullerton has an 8-3 record when Smith reaches double figures in scoring this season.

She has thrived in her role as a post player during her senior year as her 53 percent field goal percentage is the best in the Big West.

In the front court, Smith has been afforded a lesser workload with the presence of forward Carolyn Gill.

The 5-foot 10-inch sophomore has been averaging a career-high 7.3 rebounds per game this season, which is a jump from her 5.6 rebounding average during her freshman year.

Meanwhile, UCR has won three consecutive games, with two being on the road.

Guard Jannon Otto provides the scoring punch for the Highlanders’ attack, averaging a team leading 14.7 points per game while nabbing 6.6 rebounds in her junior season.

In UC Riverside’s 73-60 win over UC Santa Barbara, Otto scored a game-high 26 points, making 10 of her 13 shots attempts.

Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at the SRC Arena.