CSUF women’s basketball set to host UC Irvine

In Sports, Women's Basketball
Cal State Fullerton guards Raina Perez and Hannah Thompson watch a teammate shoot a free throw

After snapping its six-game losing streak with a 74-62 win over UC Santa Barbara, CSUF women’s basketball look to gain ground in the Big West when they play UC Irvine on Wednesday.

However, the feeling of victory was short-lived after CSUF lost to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo last Saturday.

With the regular season winding down, they currently occupy the seventh seed ahead of the Big West championships that begin on March 13.

The Mustangs scored 25 points in the fourth quarter, making 66.7 percent of their field goal attempts in a 69-58 win.

Although forward Carolyn Gill struggled on offense against Cal Poly SLO, she thrived on the defensive end, coming up with three of the Titans’ seven steals of the night and securing eight rebounds.

Despite the Titans’ documented struggles as of late, guard Raina Perez has been experiencing her own success on the court.

Perez reached double figures in scoring for the fifth consecutive game while shooting 47.1 percent from beyond the arc during that span.

After coming off the bench for five consecutive games, guard Hannah Thompson has been averaging 13.5 points per game since being reinstated to the starting lineup for the last two games.

The Titans’ defense will be tasked with slowing down the Anteaters’ offense, whose 70.2 points per game average is the second highest in the Big West.

CSUF has limited opponents to 65.7 points per game, and patience and discipline from the defensive end has the Titans committing an average of 14.1 fouls per game, which ranks lowest in the conference.

The Titans’ ability to stretch the floor on offense may present some challenges for UCI’s defense, as their 31.8 percent conversion rate from 3-point range is ranked third in the conference

Forward Amiee Book leads the charge for CSUF’s efficiency from beyond the arc with 43.6 percent shooting average.

Along with the Titans, the Anteaters look to get back into the win column after losing to UC Riverside, 66-65.

After leading by as many as six points with under 10 minutes to play in the fourth quarter, UCI found themselves trailing by two points after a three-pointer by Riverside guard Tianna Eaton with five seconds left in regulation.

The Anteaters’ biggest all-around threat comes in the form of 5-foot-11-inch guard Jordan Sanders, who is the second leading scorer in the conference with a 20.6 points per game average, and being team leader in blocks per game (1.2).

Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Titan Gym.