CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

In Sports, Women's Basketball
Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.
(Joshua Arief Halim / Daily Titan)

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara. The Titans sit at seventh place in the Big West, and hope to close the gap on Cal State Long Beach who is a half-game ahead of them with six games left in the season.

The Titans’ last four losses have all been by less than 10 points.

Center Daeja Smith leads the Titans in scoring with 13 points per game. Smith has struggled during the Titans’ skid, averaging 10.7 points per game during that span.

UCSB is led offensively by guard Coco Miller, who is averaging 11.3 points per game in her last six games. Miller is also leading the Gauchos in minutes per game with 34.1, while guard Denae Miller is behind her with 32.6 minutes per game.

The last time the two teams met on Jan. 24, the Titans were victorious 59-52 behind Smith’s 18 points and 10 rebounds in 32 minutes in the Thunderdome.

The Gauchos have lost seven of their last 10 games and have not played well on the road this season, as they have lost their last five road games and have not won away from home since Dec. 21.

UCSB center Natalia Bruening had a team-high 18 points on 8-of-12 shooting in just 13 minutes.

Santa Barbara’s offense ranks last in the Big West, the Gauchos average 56.8 points per game. The Titans rank third in the conference averaging 63.2 points per game.

Two of the Titans’ three wins in conference play have come at the Titan Gym. One of those three wins came against Hawaii in the opening game of conference play.

Since Big West play started, no one has shot the ball better than Bruening, who ranks first in field goals at 54.1 percent. Bruening has shot over 50 percent in each of her last three games.

CSUF’s defense has been demonstrating discipline as its 14.1 personal fouls per game mark ranks first in the Big West. The Titans’ defense will have their hands full against the Gauchos, who do a great job at getting to the free-throw line.  

Santa Barbara ranks third in the conference in free throw attempts, however, the Gauchos do not shoot the ball well from the line. At just 69.5 percent, UCSB ranks sixth in free throw percentage as a team.

Tipoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. in the Titan Gym.

Arnulfo Gonzalez contributed to this article.

Crime Log: Stalking, false fire alarm and speeding contest

Cal State Fullerton University Police responded to various crime calls during the month of March, ranging from speeding contests,

Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the