CSUF’s Entertainment and Tourism Club kick off spring 2019

The Entertainment and Tourism Club meeting featured several internship opportunities.
(Kaitlin Martinez / Daily Titan)

The Entertainment and Tourism Club kicked off their spring semester on Feb. 6 by focusing on ways students can advance their careers outside the classroom with study abroad and taking advantage of internship opportunities.  

There are up-and-coming study abroad trips to Austria, Greece, Italy and Spain to study an in-depth aspect of communications and how it is influenced by that country’s culture.

The club enables paid members to access internship opportunities through an alumni and member network. They can also attend panels and network with industry professionals.

Gabby Hernandez, the club’s president, said the club helped her land an internship, which was a top priority for her when she transferred to Cal State Fullerton.

“It’s important for students to network, not just with professionals, but (with) students because we’re all achieving the same dream,” Hernandez said. “We’re all going to get there somehow, one way or another and it’s important to keep those connections in school. You never know where it could land you in the future.”

Hernandez said one of the most memorable parts of her internship with Allied Integrated Marketing was when she strategized with her colleagues during brainstorming sessions and learned how to effectively market movies and media to Hispanic audiences.

It was interesting because I was listening to their experience, this works more national, regional, stuff like that,” Hernandez said.

Eighty-one percent of college graduates mention that internships affected their career path either significantly or marginally , according to a study about internships published by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).

Hernandez said she still appreciates her internship, which largely focused on marketing even though she is majoring in communications with a concentration in public relations.

It wasn’t a lot of writing. It was more the creative side and I knew that’s what I wanted to do, be more creative and figure out fun and engaging ways to promote things rather than just writing it and sending it off like press releases,” Hernandez said.

Eighty-one percent of college graduates mention that internships affected their career path either significantly (34 percent) or slightly (46 percent), according to Look Sharp’s 2016 State of Millennial Hiring Report about internships published by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).

Bianca Peralto, an entertainment and hospitality management major, said she continues to attend club meetings after changing her major to gain backstage insight about the entertainment industry.

“I get to experience the behind the scenes, like TV shows, how they’re developed and I want to manage artists so seeing how it’s done, it helps me give them a better point of view,” Peralto said.

Hernandez added that it is important for students to have an internship experience.

“People look at your resume and see that you have the experience, it doesn’t really matter that you majored in something, but you know, you’re doing different things. It’s all about the experience for me,” Hernandez said.