Framroze Virjee co-hosts “The President’s Playlist” on Titan Radio

In Lifestyle

Cal State Fullerton President Framroze Virjee and a handful of other important university figures shuffled into a narrow, hallway-like room with band posters littered along its walls.

“I have been told I have a face for radio, now I get to prove it,” Virjee tweeted out on Jan. 30.

Virjee made the descent beneath Pollak Library and into Titan Communications Tuesday afternoon to prepare for his one hour co-hosted DJ slot on Titan Radio called, “The President’s Playlist.” Virjee chatted and played songs with Titan Radio general manager, Matt Sylvester.

“This is kind of the first of its kind, but I would really like to get some more high profile interviews in Titan Radio,” said Sylvester.

With only a few minutes until airtime, Virjee and Sylvester took to the blue-hued DJ booth and were met by photographers and videographers adjusting camera tripods and recording equipment so as not to miss any moment of Titan Radio’s first “The President’s Playlist” event.

To kick things off, Virjee played Bad Company’s self-titled song “Bad Company” and followed with “Back in the USSR” by the Beatles. These two songs set the tone for the duration of the session, which featured some lesser-known hits by Tom Petty, Elton John and Fleetwood Mac.

In between songs, Sylvester and Virjee chatted about the relevancy of the president’s track choices, often pointing to memorable snippets in Virjee’s life that were encapsulated by the songs in his playlist. Virjee reminisced about drumming on his friend’s dashboard to REO Speedwagon.

Following a Rolling Stones song that played about halfway through the “President’s Playlist,” Virjee dominated the interim discussion, proclaiming his “hot take” that Rolling Stones lead singer, Mick Jagger, is actually bald.

As the hour came to a close, Sylvester and Virjee emerged from the DJ booth side by side to the sound of applause from the audience in the quarters just beyond the bulky, soundproof door.

When asked how he thought the event went, Virjee responded, “Well I don’t know how it went for everybody else, but I had a great time.”

Although Virjee said that he couldn’t pick a favorite from his collection of songs, he did have a method to his madness as far as picking the songs for his playlist, noting that he would write down his favorite artists and choose their more underrated songs.

For Sylvester, however, the event was more than just a time to chat and listen to music for an hour with Virjee.

“The President’s Playlist” was Sylvester’s last session as Titan Radio’s general manager, which doubled as an act that helped Titan Radio get exposure, according to Sylvester.

He seemed really interested in coming back in the future, so even though I’m leaving my successor Xavier, I’m hoping that maybe he can get him back in next semester or next year,” said Sylvester.  

If 4 p.m. was a difficult time for students to get online and catch Virjee and Sylvester in action, the stream will be available on titanradio.org.

“I never get to spend an hour listening to music and I got to spend an hour listening to a bunch of songs that I love, some of which I haven’t heard in 20 years,” Virjee said.