CSUF alumnus Marc Stein honored by Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame

In Men's Basketball, Sports
The New York Times' sports reporter Marc Stein holds the Curt Gowdy Media Award presented by the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame
(Rebecca Mena / Daily Titan)

Marc Stein, a CSUF almunus, was named as one of the recipients of the 2019 Curt Gowdy Media Award by the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

Stein is a journalist currently specializing in NBA coverage for the New York Times, and has been covering the league for over 30 years. He graduated from the College of Communications in 1991 and worked for the Daily Titan as a reporter.

After knowing he wanted to become a sports reporter when he was 13 years old, Stein was determined to make a name for himself the moment he enrolled at CSUF.

Previously, Stein was the sports correspondent for the Orange County Register during his entire time at CSUF, and would later receive his first NBA assignment to cover the Los Angeles Summer League in 1989.

His journey into journalism had only just begun, as he secured an internship with The Washington Post, becoming the second Titan to do so at that time.

His dedication to the  craft enabled him to work for ESPN for 15 years as a senior writer before joining The New York Times in 2017.

The award was first presented in 1990 to give recognition to the work of electronic and print media members. Past winners of this award include Chick Hearn, former Lakers play-by-play announcer, and Dick Enberg, former California Angels play-by-play announcer.

Gowdy, the award’s namesake, had a 40-year career in sports broadcasting.

After getting his foot in the door working for KFBC, a radio station in Wyoming, Gowdy became the announcer for the New York Yankees in 1949 after having a sample of his work on hand and paid for a brochure that helped him advertise himself.

Two years later, he left New York to accept a position to do the same job for the Yankees’ biggest rival, the Boston Red Sox.

Ralph Lawler, another recipient of the award, captivated NBA fans with his emphatic catchphrases like “Bingo!” and “Oh me, oh my!” during the 40 years that he has served as the play-by-play voice of the LA Clippers.

Prior to the start of the NBA season, Lawler announced that 2018-19 will be his last season before he walks away from the broadcast booth and retires.

Both men will be publicly recognized with a ceremony highlighting their accomplishments on Sept. 5-7 in Springfield, Massachusetts during the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement.

Crime Log: Stalking, false fire alarm and speeding contest

Cal State Fullerton University Police responded to various crime calls during the month of March, ranging from speeding contests,

Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the