Patriots victorious in the lackluster 2019 Super Bowl

In National News, Sports
(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)
(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)

The New England Patriots defeated the Los Angeles Rams 13-3 in the 2019 Super Bowl to capture their sixth Super Bowl victory, tying the Steelers for the most in league history.

All six championships have come with quarterback Tom Brady and head coach Bill Belichick at the helm. The 16 points is the lowest combined score in NFL history.

The lone touchdown was scored by Patriots running back Sony Mitchel with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter.

The sports desk at the Daily Titan weigh in with their thoughts on what happened on Sunday night:

Jordan Mendoza, Sports Editor:

This year’s Super Bowl was suppose to be an offensive thriller. The great Tom Brady was set to face the upstart Los Angeles Rams and the offensive guru Sean McVay. Instead, we got 13-3. While both offenses struggled from the start, the Rams looked beat early on in the game. Each of their six first-half drives went no more than five plays, and four of them were three-and-outs. 67 of the 69 yards on the lone touchdown drive were by Brady, showing why many consider him the greatest of all time, coming up clutch when he needs to. Jared Goff’s late interception showed he still has a lot of time before he is ready for the big stage, but the Patriots outplayed Los Angeles, and earned their sixth Super Bowl.

Julius Choi, Sports Editor:

I have not seen a Super Bowl this boring since 2014 when the Seattle Seahawks defeated the Denver Broncos by 35 points. Considering how both teams were ranked in the top four in points per game in the regular season and top three among playoff teams, this year’s Super Bowl was not suppose to be this low scoring. No performance was more underwhelming than Todd Gurley’s 10 carries for 35 yards. After leading the team and placing third in the NFL in rushing yards (1,251) in the regular season, Gurley was nowhere to be found in the postseason. Officially dubbing this as the “Disappointment Bowl.”

Arnie Gonzalez, Assistant Sports Editor:

The Patriots looked as they were going to have a rough start when Tom Brady threw an interception with his first pass. This was not the case as the Rams were forced to punt after the offense only managed to get 2 yards. Super Bowl MVP Julian Edelman was deserving of the award as he managed to get 10 receptions that piled up to 141 yards.

Demetri Herrera, Assistant Sports Editor:

That’s it, the last vestige of Tom Brady’s foreseeable career as a professional football player is over. “Brady went out on top,” the beginning of his hypothetical obituary might read, “hailed by many as the greatest of all time,” it might continue. What that imagined piece of paper might not emphasize, however, is the fact that after Brady left, one of the team’s best receivers was on his way out with a year left on his contract (Rob Gronkowski), and the famed Bill Belichick had nothing left to prove in New England leaving at what seemed like a natural conclusion. So here’s to looking ahead Patriots fans – you may have won tonight, but the future is grim and Brady-less.   

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated