Pilot and four dead in Yorba Linda plane crash

In News, Top Stories

A small plane crashed into a Yorba Linda residence on Sunday Feb. 3, killing the pilot and four of the people inside the home on Canyon Drive. Two others were injured and taken to the hospital for treatment.

The plane, a twin-engine Cessna 414A, traveled 15 miles from Fullerton Municipal Airport before it crashed into the home. At around 1:35 p.m. authorities received the pilot’s emergency signal, according to KABC-TV.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department was first notified of the event when residents dialed 911 at 1:45 p.m. According to footage that Carrie Braun, public information officer for the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, viewed, at some point the plane started falling apart before crashing into the Yorba Linda home.

The house then caught on fire.

Law enforcement set up a command center at Glenknoll Elementary School. Due to the circumstances, the school will be closed on Monday.

Over 70 firefighters responded to the crash. Debris littered the area, littering the street with potholes. Officials said that they hope all the debris spanning the four-block area is collected on Monday, according to the OC Register.

A portion of the main cabin area of the plane landed in another home’s backyard, according to KTLA.

Though not confirmed, there were eye witness reports to police dispatch that the plane was on fire before hitting the house. The National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the nature and cause of the crash, Braun said.