Skaters and music junkies come together for Illegal Civilization Festival

In Features, Lifestyle
This is a photo of a building with several bright lights surrounding it.
(Cara Pederson / Daily Titan)

Hundreds of colorfully-clothed fans were lined up outside the Pink Motel in San Fernando for the first Illegal Civilization festival on Saturday, Feb. 16.

The mood was set for the Illegal Civilization festival with headlining artist, Tierra Whack, local clothing vendors, professional skateboarders and to-die-for photo opportunities in front of Cadillac Jacks Cafe.

Mikey Alfred, the 22-year-old creator behind the skaters and filmers of Illegal Civilization, created an event that brought together young artists to meet and network.

“I’ve never been to an event where they have an entire room dedicated to drawing and creating, and I think that’s so important because so many creative people come out to events like this because they’re curating creativity. But to have somewhere to actually put it out and be creative — amazing,” said Candy Redd, an attendee.

Illegal Civilization, once a small brand run by a young and passionate artist, has grown to create a celebration of creativity at one of Los Angeles’ most iconic movie sets. The collaboration of young artists creating a fun place to network and socialize represents the pinnacle of Los Angeles culture.

The event featured open motel rooms that were transformed and filled with board games for people to compete, as well as art supplies for visitors to reconnect with their inner child. Strangers conversed with one another about their drawings and some asked to keep them for memories.

The walls of the rooms were lined with photography of the skaters, along with finger paint that had moved away from construction paper. Other rooms had photo sets, where visitors could take pictures with Illegal Civilization skaters in a tennis court-themed room.

Outside the motel rooms were tents with vendors such as Crap Eyewear, Hot Lava and the space-themed boutique, To The Moon Citizen.

People rushed to take pictures and picnic on the bright-green turf behind the iconic pink cafe that has been featured in films such as “Grease 2,” “The House Bunny” and the Netflix series “GLOW.” Bass-heavy dance music brought the boogie out as festival goers danced and skateboarders attempted to drop in the pink-rimmed empty pool.

People started to gather around the stage as the first performers, Warm Brew, a hip-hop trio, started their set. The bass boomed throughout the event and caught the attention of everyone who rushed to the stage and outlined the pool.

The first set was followed by another DJ, who played a list of hip-hop classics such as “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” by Soulja Boy, which brought an uproar from the crowd. Attendees pulled out their phones and raised them above the crowd to catch glimpses of each other doing the Soulja Boy dance routine.

Rapper 1TakeJay took to the stage and invited people to dance alongside him as he hyped up the crowd.

The night continued with more people pouring into the event to take part in dancing, eating and shopping. Other performers such as Tommy Genesis, Sunni Colon, Show Me the Body and Na-Kel Smith performed throughout the night leading up to Tierra Whack’s performance.

“In all honesty, I really wanted to see Tierra Whack. I’m here with one of my best friends and we always go to shows together,” said Annisah Ullah, another attendee. “(The venue is) really cute and kind of in the middle of nowhere.”

Chief Keef had a surprise appearance and ended the event with a bang performing some of his songs, including “Faneto.”

Crime Log: Stalking, false fire alarm and speeding contest

Cal State Fullerton University Police responded to various crime calls during the month of March, ranging from speeding contests,

Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the