Column: Valentine’s Day is a day for myself, friends and family

In Columns, Opinion
Illustration of February 14 with a person looking at their healthy roses, the next day they are wilting.

Valentine’s Day lacks meaning. People who participate in Valentine’s Day only focus on whether or not they have a valentine, but worrying about this “special” holiday is a waste of time.

This holiday should not only be reserved for couples, but for singles who want to show their bodies some appreciation.

Do you want to make love on Valentine’s Day? How about  learning what your body likes and pleasuring yourself? Go ahead, put on your mesh lingerie, take out your glass dildo, attach a flavored condom, and apply plenty of lubricant and have sex with yourself, the safest sex of all.

I have been single for six years, and not once have I felt pressured to have a valentine. I do not need to schedule my love for someone or show them that I care only one day out of the year.

Also, I don’t expect a gift from anyone on Valentine’s Day. Why would I worry about someone buying me an oversized teddy bear that just takes up space and adds no value?

Cheesy Valentine’s Day gifts like chocolate or stuffed animals are typical for the holiday, but don’t really have any sentimental value that shows that you know your significant other personally.

I could purchase that heavy cotton ball on my own, or better yet, I could buy the Hermès Apple Watch I want because I would use it every day, rather than forgetting about some item loitering on my couch. Then, I would flex my new watch on Instagram and emphasize that I don’t need anyone to buy me gifts because I can spoil myself.

If I received a Valentine’s Day-themed stuffed animal, I wouldn’t feel emotionally attached to it  because like all human-made holidays, after the date is over, the holiday-themed products are useless until the following year.  

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate gifts, but I love them more when they are unplanned. I feel nostalgic when I look at a gift that a loved one gave me spontaneously because it shows  they genuinely thought about me.

Valentine’s Day can make a person feel pressured to buy their partner a gift because our consumer culture persuades people that the only way to show affection is through gifts.

Valentine’s Day creates unrealistic expectations. You may expect breakfast in bed, red roses and a hot air balloon ride.

If Valentine’s Day did mean something to me, instead of looking for a valentine, I would plan a trip with my friends, buy my parents flowers, or be traditional and hand out Valentine’s Day cards.