Zac Carper reflects on society in FIDLAR album “Almost Free”

In Lifestyle, Music, Reviews
The four members of the band FIDLAR holding up a sign stating "Almost Free", the name of their new album.
(Alex Bosserman / Daily Titan)

FIDLAR’s third studio album “Almost Free” gives off the typical I-don’t-care attitude, but upon further listening, the band touches on more than just drugs and alcohol. FIDLAR uses this album as a reflection of a materialistic and ingenuine society through their own dazed lenses.

The band had a slow upbringing; FIDLAR started by casually jamming in a recording studio, until eventually, releasing their first album “FIDLAR” in 2012. After the release of their self-titled album, this punk rock band became known as a symbol of party culture.

FIDLAR’s self-titled album was a drug-induced project, while their second studio album “Too” focused on sober songwriting as lead singer and guitarist Zac Carper wanted to produce an album without being under the influence, he said in an interview with GQ.

But in this album, FIDLAR’s limelight is on different societal and social views, such as gentrification, post break-ups, flakes and materialism.

“Get Off My Rock” is the record’s first track, which opens with an earsplitting alarm siren blaring over a barking dog, clucking chicken and talking man. It then switches to a headbanging tune resembling “Punks” from the band’s second album “Too.”

“When you’re thinking about doing some stupid shit at my home/ Remember, you’re on my rock,” Carper sings as he talks about the tourism in Hawaii throughout the rest of the song.

Although FIDLAR is considered a “slacker punk” band, the band considers themselves to be mildly political as they write songs about what’s relevant and not solely for amusement, Carper said to GQ.

In the third track of the album, “By Myself,” Carper begins the song with the chorus, “Well, I’m cracking one open with the boys by myself/ And everybody thinks that I need professional help.”

In the beginning of the song Carper sings by himself as he aggressively strums the guitar to the beat of the syllables. By the end of the chorus, the beat switches up as the rest of the band jumps in.

The opening line of the song originated from a fight between Carper and his girlfriend. After being sober for a while he decided to drink alcohol again. His girlfriend wasn’t pleased, to which Carper said to her “I’m cracking one open with the boys.” But Carper’s girlfriend pointed out that he was actually just drinking by himself, he told Genius in an interview.

“By Myself” takes a dive into Carper’s sobriety as he confesses his drinking problem, admitting that he feels lonely without alcohol.

“Called You Twice” is the eighth song on the album and is the only one that includes another credited singer, which features alternative singer K.Flay.

Carper and K.Flay complement each other on the song as Carpers’ voice is gently harmonized by K.Flay, her voice sounding like a second Carper but with a higher pitch. This track features a melancholy tune as the instruments aren’t blaring compared to other songs; it continues as a smooth, slow and steady rhythm.

The duet couple to sing about the heartbreak of a breakup, and how broken it makes them feel while desperately trying to convince themselves that the split was for the best.

Concluding the 13-song record is “Good Times Are Over,” which closes the album on a strong, personable track.

Although “Good Times Are Over” doesn’t have a fast beat or include thunderous instruments, the song perfectly concludes the album because it doesn’t hype the listener. The tune and lyrics relax the listener from typical head-banging beats, leaving the listener collected and satisfied.

“Almost Free” by FIDLAR is an overall appealing album, but some songs are noticeably more powerful than others. By the end of the album the same handful of songs were replayed on Spotify, and although every song doesn’t stick to the brain, it’s still worth listening to the entire album. In its entirety “Almost Free” features addictive melodies and catchy lyrics that would be a shame to skip out on.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a