Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a powerful presence in politics

filler photo

The Democrats have a new media darling worthy of the spotlight: New York House of Representatives member Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the youngest woman in history elected to Congress.

Already given legendary initial status as AOC, Ocasio-Cortez is a noteworthy example of female representation in politics. Not only does she carry tremendous potential to be a prominent political leader due to her popularity and resilience but she shows what it is like to have a driven Latina in politics.

To put it bluntly, having a majority of old white men in political leadership positions since the birth of our nation has been underwhelming. Being represented is not just about a matter of diversity. It is about having a sense of awareness that truly shows that the people in control of the major actions of the nation embody and understand the struggles of the whole.

Ocasio-Cortez has fought tirelessly to voice her perspective on issues. She has argued in support of free tuition and Medicare for all and even proposed a New Green Deal.

Even for those who don’t agree with Ocasio-Cortez’s strong left-leaning principles, they have to be willing to recognize that her very presence in politics serves as an important moment for women.

Women everywhere need someone who is able to serve as an antithesis to the disgusting behavior of the current president that continues to be overlooked by supporters.

President Donald Trump’s vulgar language to describe women from an Access Hollywood interview from 2005 was just the beginning. His Twitter account has been demeaning to women, calling them “horseface” or “ugly”. He clearly can’t construe articulate arguments so he must resort to the elementary language of a 5-year-old.

It’s hard to believe that the current standing president has stated such revolting words like “grab ‘em by the pussy” yet this is the brutish hell that the United States currently endures.

In the United States’ current divisive political climate, leaders should not speak hateful words or embrace the behavior and rhetoric of an absolute pig. Citizens need a voice that can unify, not divide, which is exactly what Ocasio-Cortez does best.

With humble beginnings, Ocasio-Cortez won her district against all odds during the incredibly important 2018 midterm elections. She became the voice not only for her people in New York but millions of young women across the nation.

Since her victory in November, she has continued to mobilize people in support of women’s issues.

During the 2019 Women’s March, Ocasio-Cortez appeared in New York City and delivered a captivating speech that reminded women of their power in unity.

“Let us remember that a fight means no person left behind. So when people want to stop talking about the issues that black women face, when people want to stop talking about the issues that trans women or immigrant women face, we have to ask them, why does that make you so uncomfortable?” Ocasio-Cortez said in her speech.

During the State of the Union address last month, Ocasio-Cortez, along with many other Democrat women, wore “suffragette” white as a reminder of the revolutionary moment when Congress granted women the right to vote.

“There’s so much more that we have to fight for: from wage equality to paycheck fairness to protecting ourselves and believing survivors,”Ocasio-Cortez said.

This is the language and rhetoric women need to hear from their political leaders. Women deserve to have a shining voice like Ocasio-Cortez to remind them that they are powerful and deserve to be heard.

With it being the 100th anniversary of the women’s right to vote this year, it seems only right that women continue to shape the plaguing issues of politics and continue the fight for women’s rights. Ocasio-Cortez is an exemplary example of such, and with her power to unify people and support women, I am hopeful for the future of politics and her role in becoming a defining character in political history.

Leave a reply:

Your email address will not be published.