Bryce Vine delivered energy and spirit at The Observatory

In Arts & Entertainment, Features, Lifestyle, Music
Bryce Vine makes grand hand gestures while performing his songs onstage at The Observatory.
(Kim Pham / Daily Titan)

Bryce Vine’s bright blue shirt quickly became dark navy as sweat soaked his clothes while he danced and sang onstage in the Observatory’s Constellation Room in Santa Ana.

The crowd waited impatiently for the highly anticipated hip-hop rapper and singer to come on stage, following opening acts by Travis Thompson and alternative pop band 7715.

The Imperial March played during Vine’s dramatic entrance while screaming fans had their phones and hands in the air to capture a picture and reach out to touch him.

As soon as Vine appeared onstage, he jumped right into singing his 2018 single “On the Ball,” setting a lively, euphoric tone for the rest of the concert.

Vine’s performance wouldn’t have been complete without Lvcky Dave, his DJ. Although Lvcky Dave had a cast on one arm, he still managed to fill the room for an hour with electronic beats, smooth backup vocals and live trumpet instrumentals.

Vine isn’t just tall, dark and handsome; on concert night, he was alive, ecstatic and exuded a contagious spirit. While some performers know how to work a crowd, all Vine had to do was breathe into the mic to get bodies moving left and right.

“Sometimes I’m really in the moment and trying to act out the song and thinking about what I was thinking about when I wrote it,” Vine said. “I just kind of think about songs that I’ve written and try to tell the story.”

Vine’s set composed of some of his most popular songs, including “Sunflower Seeds,” “Glamorama” and “La La Land,” a newly released song featuring YG.

Although Vine had been promoting the release of “La La Land” on his Instagram since mid-February, it wasn’t the only new song he performed. Vine’s performance of unreleased songs “Fireside” and “Foghorn Leghorn” surprised fans and left them eager for more.

When Vine exited the stage without singing his No.1 hit on Spotify, “Drew Barrymore,” the crowd was shocked and confused, but ultimately determined, as they weren’t going to leave without hearing “Drew Barrymore” live.

As a result, the Constellation Room teemed with passionate fans earnestly chanting “one more song” until their star returned and gave them what they asked for.

In addition to “Drew Barrymore,” Vine performed two of his favorite songs, “Guilty Pleasure” and “Sour Patch Kids,” to conclude his show. Thanking fans as he walked off stage, Vine left the crowd significantly more satisfied than when he tried to leave the first time.

With this being the 13th sold-out show on his tour, Vine recalls opening at the Observatory in the past and not being able to fill the room, which shows just how much his career has grown since then.

“Once, I was opening and most of the crowd didn’t know who I was, and the next time we sold it out on our own and the energy is just bigger when everyone’s a fan,” Vine said.

The cultivation of his fan base has also made performing more enjoyable and rewarding, Vine said. From dancing freely to the music to singing into the mic, Vine said he wants his fans to let loose and have as much fun at his shows as he does when he performs.

Despite Vine’s carefree onstage persona, he admits there is a considerable amount of behind-the-scenes work that needs to be done so that his music can go from the studio to the stage.

“Being in the studio is great, but it’s just tedious and frustrating,” Vine said. “But if I get to perform it on tour, it’s like everything comes together.”

CSUF and CSUB tip off from Titan Gym.

Titans’ second half surge not enough in first round of CIT

The chapter of Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball, where the backcourt duo of Kyle Allman Jr. and Khalil Ahmad

Multilevel marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the