Column: Wet N Wild MegaLast lipsticks are matte not Mac

In Columns, Lifestyle, Reviews
This is an illustration of three lipsticks, each a different shape, size, and color.
(Alex Bosserman / Daily Titan)

Treating yourself no longer has to break your bank account. Yes, it is possible to keep up with the latest trends and still have money for next semester’s tuition. Wet n Wild cosmetics offers the perfect broke college student friendly lipsticks on a budget.

The Wet n Wild Megalast lipstick range surely cannot be beat with its extensive color selection of 26 diverse shades at only $2.69 on the Wet n Wild site. The colors range from fiery coral to barbie pink and everything in between.

My go to shade is “bare it all” which is a true nude with a slight peace undertone. This lipstick is a perfect dupe of Mac’s “velvet teddy,” which rose to fame after it was alleged that Kylie Jenner used it prior to establishing her lip kit empire.

The only difference between these two lipstick ranges lies within their textures. MAC’s “velvet teddy” is a creamier consistency with a matte finish, whereas the Wet n Wild option has more of a satin to matte finish. The Wet n Wild lipsticks are not as creamy as the MAC lipsticks, however I find that the pigmentation is definitely up to par.

Another differences lies within the longevity of the products, with MAC lipsticks having a longer lasting power in comparison to the Wet N’ Wild range. The Wet n Wild website claims their Megalast lipstick product lasts for four hours, however I find that their lipsticks lasts for roughly two hours before needing a touch up.

Despite these differences in texture and consistency, the colors are extremely identical. When swatched side by side, “velvet teddy” and “bare it all” appear indistinguishable. If you’re simply looking for a color dupe of “velvet teddy,” “bare it all” will surely suffice. With a price difference of approximately $15, you can certainly follow the season’s latest makeup trends with the cheaper Wet n Wild alternative.  

From my personal experience, I find that the Wet n Wild lipsticks are an exceptional option for everyday use. They can be accessible at most drugstores from Target to Walgreens, which make for easy repurchasing. If I’m looking particularly fatigued from an all night study session, or back to back classes, I lean on my Wet n’ Wild lipsticks to give me the illusion of appearing lively and well rested. I am someone who does not typically wear a lot of makeup to class, so if I ever need to elevate my look, these lipsticks are a simple fix.

On the days that I put on a full face of makeup, these lipsticks become the finishing touch I need to complete my makeup. I love that this lipstick range has a color for every occasion; therefore eliminating my expensive trips to Sephora. Simply put, this product is definitely cake face queen approved.

If you’re someone who has limited makeup skills, these lipsticks can work for you as well. The formula of these lipsticks are smooth and make for an easy application, so you don’t have to be an expert makeup artist to achieve a flawless lipstick look.

As a college student who is always on the go, I can throw my trustee Wet n’ Wild lipstick in the black hole I call a purse with ease. I don’t have to worry about it getting lost, or using up too much product, because at a price point at less than three dollars, this lipstick is certainly something I am capable of repurchasing, even with summer tuition creeping up around the corner. You don’t have to pay an arm and a leg to follow the latest makeup trends anymore. The Wet n Wild Megalast lipstick range is evidently a beauty on a budget must have.

Crime Log: Stalking, false fire alarm and speeding contest

Cal State Fullerton University Police responded to various crime calls during the month of March, ranging from speeding contests,

Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the