CSUF baseball rally comes up short against Arizona State

In Baseball, Sports
Filler Image

Cal State Fullerton baseball was defeated by Arizona State 6-4 in a rainy contest on Tuesday night.

The Titan offense was non-existent, as they left six men on base and struck out 12 times. Despite the lackluster offensive performance, the Titan bullpen had a solid night, with Timothy Josten, Joe Magrisi and Dillon Brown combining for six and two-thirds innings pitched. The trio allowed one run on three hits, and struck out seven batters.

“I thought the bullpen did a good job,” said Titan head coach, Rick Vanderhook.

With his walk in the sixth inning, Hank LoForte has reached base safely in his 55th consecutive game dating back to last season.

The Titans were shutout through seven innings until their four-run eighth inning. Isaiah Garcia put CSUF on the board with a bases-loaded RBI single. Pinch hitter Jairus Richards cut the Sun Devils’ lead in half after hitting a two-run double, followed by freshman Kameron Guangorena’s RBI sacrifice fly that made it a 6-4 game.

Despite having three hits for the night, Garcia was not pleased with himself as he struck out with two men on in the third inning. “If I did something better or helped out the team, it could be a different game.” Garcia said.

Freshman Kyle Luckham had his first career start for the Titans and faced early struggles after loading the bases in the first inning. Luckham escaped the situation with a scoreless inning due to a double play by Brett Borgogno.

However, Luckham’s struggles continued into the second inning, as ASU took advantage of the game’s first run from a one-out RBI groundout by Sam Fierri. Trevor Hauver followed on the next at-bat with an RBI single to give the Sun Devils a 2-0 lead.

Hunter Bishop led off the third inning for the Sun Devils with a triple. Lyle Lin followed with a sacrifice fly to give Arizona State a 3-0 lead. Luckham issued back-to-back walks before being pulled. Timothy Josten entered the game and surrendered a three-run home run to Alika Williams, making it a 6-0 game. Luckham ended the night allowing five runs on five hits, walking three and recording one strikeout.

Josten settled down following the home run, retiring the next five batters he faced. After pitching a scoreless fourth inning, Josten’s night was over, allowing one hit and two strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings pitched.

Freshman Joe Magrisi entered the game in the fifth inning for his collegiate baseball debut, surrendered a double and a walk, but pitched a scoreless inning. After forcing the leadoff man to groundout in the sixth inning, Magrisi struck out Hauver, but Hauver reached first on a wild pitch. Magrisi was able to escape the sixth despite walking the next batter.

Magrisi said he felt the nerves kick in once he started throwing in the bullpen. However, after allowing only two well-hit balls, Magrisi regained his composure and had a solid night.

“Off the bat, I said to myself ‘welcome to DI,’ that happens here when you leave the ball up, but I trusted my stuff and I know I am here for a reason, so I just took a deep breath and tried to relax, come back and shut it down,” Magrisi said.

ASU pitcher Brady Corrigan entered the game in the third inning and did not surrender a hit to the Titans until Garcia’s infield single in the sixth inning. Corrigan was replaced by Chaz Montoya following the single. Corrigan did well for the Sun Devils, as he pitched 2 2/3 innings and allowed one hit and a walk with six strikeouts.  

Dillon Brown entered the game for CSUF in the seventh inning and pitched three consecutive scoreless innings, allowing one hit and striking out two.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, the Titans went down quietly, recording three quick outs and stranding Berryhill on first after he drew a one-out walk.

Cal State Fullerton is now 5-5 for the season and will travel to New Mexico for a three-game series with the Lobos on Friday.