CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories
Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball
(Eliza Green/ Daily Titan)

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated Cal State Fullerton, 6-2, on Tuesday night.

Freshman Joe Magrisi made his first career start for the Titans, as the San Diego native was given the chance to start in his hometown but his night was cut short after 1.2 innings pitched.

Magrisi was given the loss on a brutal outing, surrendering five runs, and earning three. The freshman right-hander struck out just one batter, giving up three hits and three walks.

The Toreros’ second inning spark came from Jeff Houghtby. After leading off the inning with a walk, Houtby stole second and scored on a one-out RBI single by Caleb Ricketts. Magrisi loaded the bases on back-to-back walks and the Toreros didn’t let up.

San Diego added four more runs on an RBI single, an RBI groundout and a throwing error by CSUF shortstop Sahid Valenzuela that allowed two more to score, making it a 5-0 ballgame.

Timothy Josten entered the game during the second inning in relief for Magrisi, and put a halt on the Torero offense, retiring all 10 batters he faced. The CSUF bullpen would combine for 6.1 innings pitched, allowing just one run on two hits and two walks while striking out four.

USD starter Nick Owen kept the Titans’ bats silent, as Owen pitched four scoreless innings, allowing only three hits and striking out four. Pitcher Louie Crow took over for San Diego in the fifth inning and threw for 3.1 innings, allowing two unearned runs, one walk on just two hits and three strikeouts.

The Titan offense struggled through the first seven innings, as they stranded six runners on base, and recorded only four hits.  CSUF finished the night with six hits and two walks, but struggled with situational hitting, leaving eight men on base.

Senior Hank LoForte sparked the offense and extended his on-base streak to 63 games with a double to lead off the eighth inning. LoForte quickly advanced to third on an error pitched by Crow. Mitchell Berryhill then brought in LoForte on a sacrifice fly to get the Titans’ first run of the night.

After Berryhill’s RBI, the Titans loaded the bases on a hit-by-pitch, a walk and a single. The Titans added their second run of the game after Jordan Hernandez reached on an error by Ricketts on first base. Kameron Guangorena stepped up to the plate, representing the go-ahead run, but the Titans’ rally halted on an inning-ending double play.

San Diego quickly got a run in the bottom half of the eighth inning, with Houghtby leading off the inning with a walk and advancing to second on a fielder’s choice. Chris Colarossi delivered for USD, scoring Houghtby on a two-out RBI single.

With the loss, CSUF drops to 8-10 overall, while San Diego snapped their two-game skid, improving to 15-6.

CSUF will visit Long Beach State this weekend for a three-game series with the Dirtbags. The series between the two Big West Rivals will not count towards the conference play standings.  First pitch on Friday will be at 6 p.m.