CSUF baseball is able to take a win against New Mexico

In Baseball, Sports
CSUF baseball won the last game of the three-game series against New Mexico.
(Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

CSUF baseball traveled to the Santa Ana Star Field in Albuquerque, New Mexico,  playing against the New Mexico State Lobos where they won one of the three games during the weekend.  

The Lobos were able to start the scoring early as outfielder Jared Mang hit a single to score second baseman Justin Watari in the bottom of the first inning.

Catcher Daniel Cope was a prominent figure in Friday’s game as he went 3-for-3 with two doubles and two RBIs.

The Titans put pressure on New Mexico as second baseman Hank LoForte was able to score Mitchell Berryhill after a single.

Rain and high winds in Albuquerque suspended the game after playing 7 1/3 innings.  

The Titans were able to get one more run when the game continued the following day but  came up short 6-4 in the first game.

Pitcher Dillon Brown came into the game in the bottom of the seventh inning and tossed two shutout innings.  

Later in the day, the second game of the series took place when pitcher Michael Knorr faced against Nathaniel Garley.

LoForte hit a leadoff triple early in the game which was then followed by Berryhill’s own triple to score LoForte.  

The Titans were able to score three runs in the top of the first, followed by the Lobos putting up six of their own runs on six hits.

Knorr was only able to get through two innings after giving up seven runs on seven hits.

Landon Anderson came  in relief for Knorr and gave up 10 runs on eight hits in 1 2/3 innings pitched.

Garley pitched five innings for the Lobos, allowing three runs in the first inning. He tossed four scoreless innings after that.

In the top of the sixth, the Titans were trailing 17-3. Fullerton was able to wear down Kenneth Waller who replaced Garley.

Waller was only able to record one out while giving up seven runs on six hits.  

Nico Garza and Brian Coffey came in for the last 3 2/3 innings for New Mexico and gave up a combined four hits and one run.

This proved to not be enough as the Titans dropped the second game, 18-11.

The Titans jumped out of the gate early in Sunday’s game on offense, putting up two runs in the top of the first.

Gavin Velasquez’s first start of the season was cut short after four innings, allowing four runs in the bottom of the third on six consecutive hits to the Lobos.  

With two outs in the top of the seventh, left fielder Isaiah Garcia gave the Titans a 9-7 lead on a two-run home run.

Garcia went 5-for-11 on the road trip with four RBIs.

CSUF was able to add four more insurance runs in the top of the ninth inning which was capped by an RBI single by Hank LoForte which extended his on-base streak to 58 games.

Pitcher Michael Weisberg came  in the bottom of the ninth inning to close out the game for the Titans. He was able to strike out the first two batters.

Weisberg then gave up back-to-back singles before striking out Zach Doak to end the game where the Titans won the series finale 13-7.

The Titans will be facing USC at Goodwin Field on Tuesday at 6 p.m.