CSUF softball leaves Silicon Valley Classic II with a winning record

In Softball, Sports
After dropping the first game of the Silicon Valley Classic II, CSUF softball have won three straight games.
(Eliza Green / Daily titan)

CSUF softball trekked north to Santa Clara, California to participate in the Silicon Valley Classic II. The Titans lost against Nevada after they rattled off three wins to cap off the weekend tournament.

The Titans had an extra day of preparations after their first game of the tournament against San Jose State was canceled due to inclement weather. This gratuitously set up CSUF to play four games in two days

After unloading 19 runs against New Mexico prior to the tournament, the well dried up as CSUF was kept off the scoreboard for the fifth time this season.

Pitcher Dani Martinez kept Nevada’s offense at bay early in the game, allowing no hits and striking out seven batters in the first four innings.

However, the Wolf Pack snuffed out their first hit as leadoff hitter Kenzi Goins hit a single up the middle in the top of the fifth inning.

With Goins advancing to second base on a wild pitch, catcher Haley Burda drove in the game’s first run on a single to right field.

The Wolf Pack would add another run on an RBI single by Sierra Mello to round out the inning.

Goins put the game out of reach for the Titans with a two-run home run in the sixth.

Martinez did not get the run support she was hoping for as the CSUF lineup had seven runners left on base.

After a walk to Janelle Rodriguez by Nevada’s pitching staff, left fielder Irie Siofele was unable to take advantage of the bases-loaded situation and grounded out to end the sixth inning.

Wolf Pack pitchers Kendall Fritz and Julia Jensen allowed no runs on seven hits in the 5-0 win.

In the latter half of the first-day doubleheader, the Titans outlasted Weber State in a pitcher duel, 1-0.

Titans pitcher Taylor Dockins pitched a complete game shutout allowing two hits and three walks. Meanwhile, Wildcats’ pitcher Kate Donaldson also pitched all seven innings and gave up four hits.

The game-deciding run came in the top of the seventh inning with one out as right fielder Kelsie Whitmore drove home Evelyn Sablan on a single to centerfield.

The Titans defeated Northern Kentucky 3-0.

Pitcher Sophie Frost turned in a complete game shutout as she limited the Norse to five hits and struck out six batters.

Frost had her seventh win of the season and has now pitched three of the Titans’ five complete games recorded this season.

Norse pitcher Taylor Ginther retired the side in order in the third but was relieved of her duties by Haily Whitmer after allowing one run on three hits in the fourth inning.

Rodriguez doubled the Titans’ lead. The final run of the game came from an RBI double by Hill in the fifth inning.

CSUF saved its offensive outburst for Santa Clara as the Titans captured its fifteenth win of the season, 8-1.

Martinez rebounded after a rocky outing against Nevada, pitching six scoreless innings on two hits and seven strikeouts on Saturday night.

In the fourth inning, pinch runner Paola Villegas scored on a sacrifice fly by Siofele while Hill followed it up with a two-run double to right center field.

Hill had a .500 batting average and four RBIs on six hits.

CSUF was pulling away from Santa Clara by adding four insurance runs in the sixth inning.

Sablan got the inning started by hitting a solo home run to left center field. Siofele utilized a bunt to enable Julia Valenzuela to score.

CSUF will resume play on Tuesday to face Houston to kick off a six-game homestand.

First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Anderson Family Field.

CSUF and CSUB tip off from Titan Gym.

Titans’ second half surge not enough in first round of CIT

The chapter of Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball, where the backcourt duo of Kyle Allman Jr. and Khalil Ahmad

Multilevel marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the