Devil’s Advocate: Single people can be happy

In Devil's Advocate, Opinion
a drawing of a girl sitting alone under an umbrella at the beach and next to her is a couple under an umbrella
(Rebecca Mena / Daily Titan)

Don’t Drake and drive, folks. There is no excuse to listen to “Marvins Room” while driving alone.

People as a society worry so much about their relationship status, assuming that people in committed relationships are happier than those who are single. It’s all too common for single people to be labeled as sad and lonely.

A study by Natalia Sarkisian from Boston College and Naomi Gerstel from the University of Massachusetts was created to combat the idea that being single is an isolating experience. The study showed that being single can actually increase people’s’ social connections.

It claimed that, single individuals are more likely to frequently stay in touch with, provide help to and receive help from parents, siblings, neighbors and friends than the married.

Couples tend to rely on one another for their needs, which drives them away from turning to friends, family or neighbors as an emotional outlet. This raises the question of who is truly isolated, single individuals or couples?                                      

The study noted that single people have a greater involvement with their community, whereas most people in relationships tend to exclude personal ties to anyone other than their partner. Most of their research found that single people socialize more than couples do, and have more friends on average than those in relationships.

Married couples tend to stay in while single people go out more, possibly to find a potential soulmate down the line, according to the study.

Sarkisian and Gerstel conclude the study by calling single individuals the lifeline of the community that social policy should seek to sustain. If that isn’t enough to convince you that being single is nowhere near as awful as society makes it out to be, then hopefully a relationship like Ronnie and Sammi’s from “Jersey Shore” will prove this.

Being single does not equate to being lonely or sad, but rather the opposite. It can encourage a person to interact with new people and help lead a more socially interactive lifestyle. Most importantly, it can influence them to become their own biggest fan.

It’s not a negative experience because it serves as the best opportunity for one to learn more about themselves. Young adults, especially college students, still have so much self-discovery to do. Discovery that can be difficult to navigate if someone decides to put their partner’s interests ahead of their own.

People change in numerous ways as they grow older; their likes, dislikes, styles, beliefs, priorities and are constantly evolving. Perhaps having a partner during this period can skew one’s perspective as a form of compromise.

Relationships can be wonderful experiences, or downright dreadful. Being committed to another person requires emotional, mental and physical effort. Breakups are notoriously unpleasant, and heartbreak is seemingly unbearable. Staying single can mean avoiding this or greater turmoil.

Depending on how a person can handle being single, the experience can be great.. If someone spends their days moping and complaining about how much they would rather be with someone, then they are bound to find themselves in a situation filled with self-pity. Society seems to believe singlehood consists of feeling sorry for yourself, but that does not have to be true.

Making the best of being single will help you fall in love with being alone. Going out, meeting new people, making friends and dedicating time to doing what’s best for yourself can be fun and exciting.