Editorial: From Michelle Obama to Malala Yousafzai, women deserve to be recognized

In Editorials, Opinion

As a nod to Women’s History Month, it is important to have this special women’s issue to remind everyone of the importance of celebrating women and having their voices heard.

One hundred years ago, Congress passed the 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote. Since then, numerous women have made strides in long-term change, giving the generation of women that followed a platform for success.

Today more than ever, it is necessary for women to secure their place as equals.

Females like Michelle Obama, Emma Gonzalez, Billie Jean King and Serena Williams embody what it means to be not only strong leaders but monumental in the pathway to equality.

Despite the obstacles that have accumulated throughout history, women have persevered and flourished. We at the Daily Titan believe that it is important to represent their accomplishments and determination.

Activists worked hard to further women’s rights and demolish pre-existing barriers.

The Equal Pay Act was signed in 1963 and prohibited wage discrimination in the workplace on the basis of sex.

Title IX was signed in 1972 and stated that no person should be excluded from any education program or federal financial assistance due to their sex.

The landmark case Roe v. Wade gave women the legal right to have abortions.

Women all over the world have fought to be recognized and treated with respect, from Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who argued six landmark gender equality cases before the supreme court, to Malala Yousafzai, who took a bullet to the head while advocating for female education in the Middle East.

Their boldness and relentless determination have provided examples of how to demolish barriers for countless strong women who are striving for their own success.  

These powerful figures represent what it means to be a woman – to be someone who can pave their own path, and someone who knows that there are no limits to what can be accomplished.

In this issue, we have decided to highlight women who have created their own definition of womanhood. We have made the effort to emphasize a woman’s voice by making sure women contributed to a majority of the articles written.

As female journalists, we understand that women are still fighting to this day, each with their own personal battles, and each one deserves to be recognized on our campus and in our community.

Representing those who dare to be a woman.

Proudly,

The female journalists of the Daily Titan

Leave a reply:

Your email address will not be published.