Mueller report finds no evidence of Trump conspiring with Russia

In National News, News
Former FBI Director Robert Mueller briefing President Barack Obama about the Boston Bombing
Courtesy of the Federal Bureau of Investigation

The investigation of President Donald Trump and his campaign led by Robert S. Mueller III was released Sunday. The report said Trump nor his aides have conspired with Russia.

According to a letter released by Attorney General William Barr, the Mueller probe found no evidence of collusion with Russia, but the letter was vague regarding the count of obstruction of justice, saying, “The Special Council states that ‘while this report does not conclude that the president committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.’”

Barr and Assistant Attorney General Rod Rosenstein concluded in the letter that the evidence gathered by the special counsel did not amount to obstruction of justice.  

Trump addressed the release of the letter and said the investigation began illegally.

“There was no collusion with Russia. There was no obstruction, none whatsoever and it was a complete and total exoneration. It is a shame that our country had to go through this, to be honest it is a shame that your president had to go through this before I ever got elected. It began and it began illegally and hopefully someone is going to look at the other side,” said Trump.

The report itself has not been released to the public, as the Justice Department is currently working to figure out what portions can be released to protect grand jury testimony, according to Barr’s letter.

Prominent Democrats, including House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, are calling for a full release of the special counsel’s report to the public and want more than the attorney general’s letter to Congress.

“Attorney General Barr’s letter raises as many questions as it answers,” Pelosi and Schumer said in a joint letter released on the Speaker’s website. “Congress requires the full report and the underlying documents so that the Committees can proceed with their independent work.”

The Mueller report led to a total of 34 people and three companies receiving indictments or offering guilty pleas, according to ABC News.

Prominent campaign officials who have indicted include Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign manager, Rick Gates, a campaign official, Roger Stone, a long time friend of the president, and Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal attorney.  

Manafort was charged with 18 counts and plead guilty to eight, including submitting false income tax returns, bank fraud and failing to file reports of foreign bank accounts.

Gates pleaded guilty on counts of conspiracy against the United States and lying to federal prosecutors.

Stone was found guilty on five counts of false statements. Cohen was also charged on a count of false statements to Congress.

Leave a reply:

Your email address will not be published.