The Women’s Club of Fullerton serves local community

In Features, Lifestyle
Members of the Womens Club of Fullerton discuss new charities that they are going to support and help fundraise for at their monthly meeting.
(Baylee Maust / Daily Titan)

When Pallavi Patel saw the Women’s Club of Fullerton volunteering for a fundraiser on a 103-degree-Fahrenheit day in October, she knew she wanted to be involved.

“I saw all these women; they were bubbly, they had a smile on their faces and they were still working hard. I thought this is something I want to join and see what they do,” Patel said.

Like many of the members, Patel said she admires what the Women’s Club of Fullerton does for fundraisers, charities and volunteer support.

The Women’s Club of Fullerton started in 1906 and is one of the oldest chapters of the organization. Surrounding cities such as Orange, Yorba Linda and Garden Grove also have their own Women’s Clubs.

Shanthi Ramesh, the chair of Helping Hands and international affairs, said the Women’s Club meets once a month to discuss new charities they are going to support and help fundraise for.

“We meet once a month to decide the course for the month and then we then talk to other members because obviously, 40 women, we’re all going to have different opinions,” Ramesh said.

New membership fees are $65 and include a pin and name badge, according to the Women’s Club of Fullerton website.

“You just have to come and be ready to volunteer and be social. You make a lot of friends,” Ramesh said.

Mary Torres, vice president of the Women’s Club, said her favorite memory was getting to give donated funds to the Fullerton Cares for Autism.

“Raising $20,000 for that nonprofit was amazing. Really amazing. They do such good work here in the city of Fullerton it was just really a prideful moment that we could be so helpful to them to accomplish their goals,” Torres said.

Ramesh said fundraising is accomplished through different volunteer acts of service, raffles and even fashion shows.

“We do gift baskets, pick a prize and everything is donated and everything is volunteer hours. There is no cost when we do these fundraisers, other than paying the club to use their facility and the food,” Ramesh said.

Michael Manchester, a member for about two years, said she joined the Women’s Club so she could get involved with her community after retirement.

“I was desolate because I didn’t have anything to do anymore. The Women’s Club was recommended to me by one of the Women’s Club members and I also joined a bunch of other things,” Manchester said.

Manchester said she loves the ability to fundraise and have a strong sense of comradery with the women in the group.

“Anytime I can be of service. All the things that I’m involved in, I’’m of service in one way or another and that’s what drew me to it,” Manchester said.

Torres said she finds it rewarding to help the community and several charities.

“We all are very giving women of our time and efforts and are just glad that we can be of help to someone much more needy than we are,” Torres said.