cartoon photo illustration

When you're looking a modern classic to revisit or a new show to get into, these animated shows are sure to give you a great time when binging. (Eder Ramirez / Daily Titan)

Summer is finally here, and there’s no better way to spend this newfound free time than binging TV shows. Sit back, grab a favorite snack and press play on some of these timeless modern gems. 

1. “Regular Show”

One of Cartoon Network’s most ambitious series, “Regular Show” is anything but what the title suggests. Created by J.G. Quintel, this 2009 cartoon follows the misadventures of Mordecai and Rigby as they work their days away at the park and find themselves in all kinds of far-out situations, each more random than the last.  

The show is episodic with an overarching plot with minimal presence, so anyone who wants to get into the series can do so at any point. Through the show’s eight seasons, viewers are treated to zany antics and clever joke setups, combined with a dash of 1980s attitude. The antics of fan favorite characters greatly complement the main duo with their quirky mishaps. The show’s mature humor makes it perfect for viewers of any age.

Whether they’re trying to beat an unwinnable game, eating the world’s greatest cheeseburger or having a disastrous house party, the misadventures of Mordecai and Rigby deliver a hearty dosage of laughter and a plethora of quotable moments, all delivered in short and sweet 15-minute episodes.

All the seasons of “Regular Show” can be streamed on Hulu.

2. “Gravity Falls”

There’s no other show like Disney’s “Gravity Falls.” Since its debut in 2012, this mystery cartoon has left its mark in animation, owing to it’s tongue-and-cheek comedy and thrilling plot.

Taking place in the supernatural town of Gravity Falls, Oregon, twins Dipper and Mabel Pines spend the summer with their Great Uncle Stan and get caught up in a whirlwind of conspiracies. The overall plot centers around the identity of The Author and finding the meaning of anomalies in town.

While the show can make viewers gasp in thrill, it has the same ability to make viewers lose their mind in hilarity. The clever writing alongside an intoxicating story culminates into a viewing experience like no other. This coming-of-age story also deals with themes such as family conflict and what it means to be a grown-up. There are messages to be interpreted with a dash of comedy and suspense.

Both seasons of “Gravity Falls” can be streamed on Disney+ and Hulu.

3. “Voltron: Legendary Defender”

For those looking for a great superhero show, look no further than this Netflix original created by Dreamworks. It’s no secret that franchises revived by the streaming platform have their flaws, but this reboot reached for the stars and successfully passed the status quo.

Set in the distant future, the show follows five young teenagers from Earth and their accidental discovery of the mythical Blue Lion, sending them into space and encountering the last two survivors of an ancient alien race. Informed of an ongoing conquest for cosmic domination by an evil race known as the Galra, they become the Paladins, each with a lion at their disposal to form the mighty Voltron and tasked with defending the galaxy at all costs from the Galra threat. 

Featuring an overarching plot spanning across the show’s eight seasons, this animated show is a fantastic reimagining of a bygone series. The show does an amazing job setting the scene of the distant future with a colorful cast of characters and exhilarating fight sequences.

While the show has its filler episodes, it’s hard for the flatness of those few episodes to mar this Netflix gem. Serving as a love letter to veteran Voltron fans, this show will glue viewers to your screen. 

“Voltron: Legendary Defender” is streaming now on Netflix.

4. “Avatar: The Last Airbender”

Nickelodeon’s classic has seen a resurgence in recent years with its re-release on Netflix, for a good reason. The exploits of “The Last Airbender” and his comrades live in cartoon history as one of the greatest stories told through animation, capturing the hearts of fans around the world with its realistic characters and powerful worldbuilding. Despite its 2005 debut, the show remains as breathtaking as ever.

The show takes place in a world defined by element bending, and everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. A hundred years have passed in this war-ravaged world, and siblings Katara and Sokka find the last descendant of the Airbenders encased in ice. Freeing him, they discover that he is the Avatar: the one prophesied to be the master of all bending and restore peace to the world. His name is Aang, and the show follows his quest to fulfill that destiny.

Every episode is another chapter of Aang’s growth, presenting a series of stories as part of a grand tale. The show never falters in delivering a plethora of memorable scenes, be it sentimental, heart-wrenching, exhilarating or hilarious. Prince Zuko, the antagonist, is known to be one of the best villains in animation history, and viewers will find his story just as enthralling as Aang’s.

With beautifully animated fight scenes, a beautifully written story, and a beautifully drawn artstyle, “Avatar: The Last Airbender” is a must-watch story for every animation junkie.

All three seasons of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” are available to stream on Netflix.

Whether fans are looking for a new series to start, or they want to revisit an old favorite, these lighthearted and easy to watch shows will keep viewers entertained for hours.

Asst. Lifestyle Editor F20; Dep. Lifestyle Editor F21