Ofrenda picture

The WoMen's and Adult Reentry Center ofrenda, or offering, honors the lives of those who have been lost due to domestic violence at the Dia de los Muertos celebration at the Becker Amphitheater on Nov. 1. (Paul Magdaleno / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s Becker Amphitheater was alive with food, dance, music and activities as students interacted with the different vendors and clubs in celebration of Día de los Muertos on Nov. 1. 

Día de los Muertos is a traditional Mexican holiday celebrated on Nov. 1 and Nov. 2 that honors and brings together the living and the dead. The event was hosted by the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Centers in collaboration with the Latinx Community Resource Center and Associated Students. 

The activities during the event included opportunity drawings, coloring pages, vendor booths and an ofrenda showcasing.  

Ofrendas, or offerings, are created to honor the dead with items that identify the person to whom they are dedicated. The celebration also provided space for folks to grieve, send messages to their loved ones and find different ways to celebrate and honor those who have passed.

All of the vendor booths handed out stickers to students who visited their booths and learned about what they had to offer. If participants accumulated six stickers they could exchange their sticker card for a free food ticket. 

The food was catered by Fiesta Gourmet, where all 150 tickets were redeemed. The giveaway winners were also announced through an Instagram Live on Tuesday. Ballet Folklorico de Cal State Fullerton was there for two different performances with several dance numbers. 

The first day of Día de los Muertos celebrates the spirits of children who have died, while the second day honors adults and elders. On these days, families welcome back the souls of loved ones who have passed away for a time of remembrance and celebration. The day is meant to showcase death as a natural experience that everyone will go through. 

Ariana Mora Mero is the coordinator of the Latinx Community Resource Center and led the Día de los Muertos event.

“Today is a huge significance for not just our Latinx community, but I think for everyone overall celebrating and honoring the dead for Día de los Muertos,” Mora Mero said. 

She said that the past few years that they’ve had with so much death and so much pain, it’s important to honor those who have passed away. 

CSUF’s Hermanos Unidos culture club talked about the loss of people who are undocumented. Cindy Olmedo, a club member, talked about their table at the event. 

“We are celebrating our undocumented family who has passed. Both passed physically to the other side as well as passed here and created better opportunities for us,” Olmedo said. “We have some members who actually brought some pictures of their families as well as a couple of art pieces that have to do with being undocumented culture and undocumented family.”

Bryant Melgar said he was there to learn more about the holiday. Melgar said that he came to this event because Día de los Muertos is a holiday that is celebrated by people within his Latino culture. 

“I just wanted to learn more about what exactly happens on Día de los Muertos since I don’t personally celebrate the holiday too much,” Melgar said.

The WoMen's and Adult Reentry Center was also there with an ofrenda to honor the lives of those who have been lost due to domestic violence and the Queer Trans People of Color Collective joined with an ofrenda highlighting the lives of transgender women. 

Some of the different vendors sold gift baskets, jewelry, candles and lighters. One of the shops, Quherencia, sold candles and jewelry and a different table sold custom lighters by @LasLucesDeLaLiz. Crescent Creations sold jewelry and even made custom pieces to people’s liking. 327 Shop showed off their different gift baskets that can also be custom made. 

To learn more about the Latinx Community Resource Center, follow the center’s page on Instagram @lcrc_csuf.