pet illustration
(Jocelyn Andrade / Daily Titan)

Owning any pet requires work, but some people fall in love with animals beyond the average cat or dog. Often, they adopt without realizing how much maintenance these pets are. While these animals are not bad choices, here are a few things to consider if it’s your first time caring for these types of pets.

Rabbits

Many people impulsively adopt rabbits because of their cute and cuddly appearance without realizing the time commitment these pets require. Rabbits need a cage with enough space to jump around in, but they should only be kept there for part of the day. Rabbits require  time outside their cage for exercise. However, be aware that they often try to chew through objects, such as wires or painted surfaces, so if you are a student living in a rental unit, this could cause problems with your deposit.  

Since rabbits are prey animals, they can become easily stressed when they feel exposed to potential predators. Because they scare easily, you will have to be more careful around them to minimize the chance of them getting a heart attack. If they are mishandled, it could lead to severe spinal injuries.

Despite their adorable appearance and small size, rabbits are a big commitment that require a lot of care and effort first-time pet owners might not be accustomed to.

Ferrets

Despite its small size, a ferret is a big responsibility and can require the same amount of care as any cat or dog. A ferret has a lot of energy and is not meant to be kept in a cage for an extended period, so you need to let them out to release all that energy. Similar to rabbits, ferrets tend to be destructive, requiring pet owners to  ferret-proof their home.

Ferrets are unsuitable for families with children as they are fragile animals and can be easily injured if handled roughly. They also tend to bite when threatened, so leaving a ferret with a child unsupervised could lead to a trip to the hospital due to the possibility of spreading rabies.

Chinchillas

Incredibly fluffy and cute, chinchillas seem like the perfect pet for anyone looking to have a cuddly friend. However, bonding with chinchillas requires lots of time, effort and patience.

Patience is key in bonding with a chinchilla because it can take a while for them to warm up to their owner. Depending on the animal, this process could take a few months of constant attention and effort. 

If you like to cuddle with pets, there is no guarantee that the chinchilla will warm up enough since some do not like to be held. They may become used to it after a while, but there is a chance that some may never be as cuddly as you want them to be. 

Large Birds

Large birds, such as parrots and macaws, have a lifespan of 50 to 100 years. That being said, adopting these birds as pets require a big commitment. 

One major risk of owning these large birds is they can inflict serious damage with their beaks if they feel threatened by  you or the people in your household. If you are busy and do not spend much time in your home, these birds may scream and tear their feathers out when bored. 

Lizards

One of the biggest deal breakers of getting a lizard is that their diet consists of mice and insects. In addition, their food may need to be stored in the fridge or even fed alive. If you’re uncomfortable with small rodents or insects, these scaly friends are not the pets for you. Lizards also don’t move around as much as other pets on this list and are typically content staying in their habitat. Usually, they only move around when it’s time to feed them. So those who dream of owning an affectionate and lively pet should reconsider adopting a lizard into their household.