displax_web2

Photo courtesy of Displax.com

Remember the fantastic sequence in 2002’s “Minority Report,” when Tom Cruise waves, motions and conducts a huge computer window in order to download the files from his computer? Who would have thought that in as little as eight years the precursor for this technology could become reality?

One company is working on making the technology to create that same experience on a much larger scale. DISPLAX, a company working from Braga, the “Portuguese Silicon-Valley,â€Â is creating a “transparent thinner-than-paper polymer filmâ€Â that can be applied to almost any surface and create a touch screen. This can be applied to glass, plastic or wood, “almost everyone who sees it thinks of new applications, from converting LCDs into a multitouch screens, tables into multitouch tables, to creating interactive information screens in stores, shopping malls or public areas, to developing new exciting gaming environments,â€Â said Miguel Fonseca, chief business officer of DISPLAX, in the company’s press kit.

According to the product’s Web site, the DISPLAX uses a grid of nanowires to detect any interaction with the device, such as a touch or the user blowing on the surface. The controller can be anywhere in size from seven inches to nine feet, measured diagonally. In comparison, a 50-inch version of the screen comes in at a feather-like 10 ounces. The screen can detect up to 16 interactions at the same time.

The company has been successful in tailoring to the needs of their clients so far by merging with the desires and attitudes of the company. DISPLAX has been working in the Inter IKEA Group Center in Porto, Portugal to create information displays with a large directory for the shopping area, as well as play with an interactive LCD monitor, set at 32â€Â, about the height of children. The display allows artists to express their creativity by picking colors from the palette to draw and paint. This exclusive DISPLAX display was specially designed for the project. After the budding artist is finished, he can transfer the drawings form the Art Gallery to the DISPLAX Window Layer, at the front of the children’s space, said the website.

Another example of the DISPLAX system at work is in the Optimus display store in Casa Da Musica Oporto, Portugal. Optimus wanted to make a cutting-edge showroom floor, so it went to the experts at DISPLAX for the innovative design. “This store merges two areas for which Optimus has a particular affinity: innovation and music. Few companies other than Optimus would dare make such a bold move. Optimus has a long tradition of innovation,â€Â said Angelo Paupério, chairman of Sonae.com, the largest private employer in Portugal.

The telecommunication company’s concept store features a variety of products and features for their handsets such as music, wallpapers, and other applications, utilizing the DISPLAX displays to make the Optimus brand the focal point of the store. The store’s capstone is the experience block, a large rectangular box featuring over 70 high-definition, LCD and plasma monitors, with touch elements throughout the display for customers to have a hands on experience with products. DISPLAX is also reaching for American clients, ranging from telecommunications leader, Nokia, to soft drink manufacturer, Pepsi, as well as computer designer, IBM, and retailer, Sax Fifth Avenue, showing the variety of applications in store for the future. As the desire for further innovations accelerate, it will be these businesses pushing forward, driving the market with it.

The future looks exciting when the world is merely a touch away.