Fear Street poster

(Netflix)

Ending the “Fear Street” trilogy, “Fear Street Part Three: 1666,” released July 16, is the stupendous finale to a phenomenal teen slasher.

Although “Fear Street Part 2: 1978” was lacking, the experience of binging the entire series, which is really what it was made for, is the way to go as they all mesh together perfectly and make the trilogy fun, mysterious and suspenseful. 

Similar to the casting of “American Horror Story,” the actors from the previous movies are featured again in “Fear Street Part Three: 1666.” As Deena (Kiana Madeira) sees the vision through Sarah Fier’s eyes, the film uses actors from “Fear Street Part One: 1994” and “Fear Street Part Two: 1978” to portray her friends and family.

Madeira plays Sarah Fier and Deena. Benjamin Flores Jr. plays Sarah’s brother as Henry and Deena’s brother as Josh, and Olivia Scott Welch plays Sarah and Deena’s love interest, Hannah Miller and Sam Fraser.

Since the film is set in 1666, the story evolves into a plot about forbidden love, while also examining the origins of the curse and its purpose.  

It all starts in “Fear Street Part Two: 1978,” when Deena bleeds on the hand of Sarah Fier. Needed to end the curse, Deena and Josh attempt to return the severed hand to Sarah Fier’s body when Deena gets a vision — which takes us into “Fear Street Part Three: 1666.” 

On the night of a full moon, Sarah Feir and Hannah are seen kissing in the forest by Mad Tom, who tells the entire town. The next day, Hannah’s father, Pastor Cyrus, is possessed by evil and murders 12 children.  

The townspeople believe that these two events are related and begin to hunt down Hannah and Sarah Fier to hang them for using witchcraft and “inciting evil” by kissing.

Solomon Goode (Ashley Zuckerman), who was supposed to be Sarah’s love interest, allows Sarah to hide from the mob that is after her — and that’s where the journey begins. 

Sarah finds a cavern under Solomon’s house which leads her to discover who has been summoning the Devil in Shadyside. After an epic fight scene in that cavern, Sarah’s hand is severed and she states, “The truth shall be your curse,” making her curse one for the sake of good. 

The movie runs one hour and 54 minutes and flips from 1666 to 1994 at the end —tying up all loose threads. The questions that were left from “Fear Street Part Two: 1978” were mostly answered, but “Fear Street Part Three: 1666” ends on a cliffhanger, leaving a possibility for a second series. 

Using the actors of the previous two movies to play the characters of the third movie was a terrific choice because it gave the viewer familiar faces, while also allowing them to understand the importance of Sarah Fier’s story on the characters of “Fear Street Part One: 1994.” 

Among the commendable aspects of this movie are the costumes and the soundtrack, yet again. In 1666, all fight scenes are terrifying and mysterious, as they are coupled with ominous instrumentals. 

When flipping to 1994, the final battle is partnered with great upbeat tunes that make the scene fun and exciting rather than scary and suspenseful. However, the accents in 1666 are quite laughable, and some even change throughout the movie. 

“Fear Street Part Three: 1666” is definitely more gory and bloody than the first and second movies in the series; however, some parts aren’t as believable as others and are clearly computer animated. 

As with the first two instalments, the third movie needs a viewer warning as it contains a vivid depiction of a hanging which can be too graphic or realistic for some audiences.

Reeling from the intensity of “Fear Street Part Two: 1978,” “Fear Street Part Three: 1666” brings the trilogy back to the status of a fun teen slasher series and makes all three of the films must-watch movies for the summer. 

The entire “Fear Street” trilogy is now available to stream on Netflix.