Megan Thee Stallion

(300 entertainment)

This year has had many low points with multiple headlines riddled with COVID-19 statistics and perfect examples of mediocre leadership. It is no wonder people are bound to fall under a melancholic spell.

But thanks to 25-year-old rapper Megan Thee Stallion, her Nov. 20 album release might just break the curse of 2020.

With singles such as the “Savage Remix,” “Girls in the Hood” and “Don’t Stop” releasing before their respective album announcement, hotties and rap lovers alike had a taste of what was in store for her latest album “Good News.”

Considering the popularity surrounding the four EPs she released in the last three years, the album’s guest appearances should come with no surprise. The 17-track album showcased some of the most notable Black artists the music industry has to offer: 2 Chainz, Beyoncé, Big Sean, City Girls, DaBaby, Lil Durk, Mustard, Popcaan, SZA and Young Thug. 

Cutthroat vibes are masterfully introduced in the album’s first song, “Shots Fired.” Listeners are instantly invited into what really went down between her and Canadian rapper Tory Lanez on July 12. According to Megan Thee Stallion’s Instagram Live video, Lanez fired shots at her after trying to avoid an argument. Megan Thee Stallion had exited the SUV that both rappers were in at the time, leaving her left foot injured with two gunshots. 

Megan Thee Stallion shows she’s more than just an entertainer with empowering bars by how hard the audience can take her lyrics to heart. The track samples The Notorious B.I.G.’s “Who Shot Ya?” which holds similarities that put their adversaries to shame.

The album’s second track, “Circles,” carries on the confident, sexual prowess Megan Thee Stallion introduced in her debut, but also begs the questions such as: “Look, why you wanna do the bad b---- wrong?/ 'Bout to make this every bad b---- song?”

These questions, however, are not new to the conversation that she is trying to develop throughout the album. There are numerous songs out there that have pointed out the same ideas. Yet instead of begging for the answers, Hot Girl Meg wastes no time waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Her expectations on how to be treated are laid out for us in “Sugar Baby,” the fifth track that samples American rapper Webbie’s “Bad B----,” which ironically imposes outdated gender roles upon women. 

The song calls attention to how much women deserve to be pampered, creating the feeling of female empowerment when looking at her lyrics as a response to Webbie’s overtly sexist lyrics, which are commonplace in most male rappers’ songs. 

Stallion’s first verse, “Oh, you wanna see my nails when they're done? S---, pay for 'em/ You can't have opinions on no s--- that you ain't payin' for/ All them high school mindgames only work on needy b------/ Call yourself not talkin' to me, I'm already callin' my other n----, ayy,” serves as a great response to Webbie’s second verse in the 2005 song, “Bad B----,” “Now see I can impress a bad b---- the girl gon smile/ Caress the bad b---- now the girl gon’ wild/ I'll feed it and treat it like that's my child/ Then freakin it up and beat it up that's my style.” 

In its entirety, “Good News” transcends the bad news of today; it hypes us up for what comes next. Despite these twisted times, Megan Thee Stallion’s debut album did what it was made to do. 

Illustrator F20; Asst. Social Media Editor S21