"He's All That" poster

(Netflix)

“He’s All That,” the much anticipated remake of beloved ‘90s teen rom-com “She’s All That,” released on Aug. 27, and it was more disappointing than anyone could have expected. The $20 million movie is filled with advertisements, bad acting and poop jokes that disparage any opportunity for it to be a fun summer flick.

Not even two minutes into the movie, viewers are hit with ads for Alo Glow Serum and ILIA cream blush, and the advertisements run for the duration of the film. Keep an eye out for other advertisements from Bose, Sun Chips, Lunchables, Lucky Charms, Core Hydration, Doritos, Pizza Hut, KFC, Portos, Old Navy, Smartfood Popcorn and more. 

Similar to her current life, Addison Rae, the main protagonist, takes on the role of Padgett Sawyer, a renowned TikTok star who gives followers advice on self-improvement. After a humiliating live-streamed break up that leads to Padgett losing her sponsorships, Padgett and her clique, Quinn (Myra Molloy) and Alden (Maddison Pettis), make a bet to turn the biggest loser in school into prom king. 

Cameron Kweller (Tyler Buchanan) is dubbed the biggest loser and becomes Padgett’s new project. From there, the two become inseparable as Cameron teaches Padgett to ride horses, and they go on shopping sprees and attend parties together. 

However, their dynamic is a little off-putting as the two share a love for poop jokes and heinous cackling.

From constipation to laxatives, the poop jokes are a pandemic of its own. At one point, Padgett grabs a handful of horse poop and throws it at Cameron and brushes it off by saying, “What? It’s mostly grass right?” 

Buchanan and Rae’s forced laughter and poop flinging was among the most uncomfortable and mortifying parts of the movie. However, it was only outshined by Cameron’s sister, Brin (Isabella Crovetti), saying, “Well if I didn’t know any better, and you weren’t my brother, I’d say you look pretty hot,” just after he gets a makeover by Padgett. 

Another convincing argument by Brin is when she compares Padgett’s role as Cameron’s love interest to the influence that their mother had on their lives.

She begs Cameron not to lose Padgett the same way that they lost their mom, which is confusing since their mom died in a tragic plane crash and Padgett and Cameron only got into an argument. 

Without any reference to the amount of time that has passed since their meeting, the rushed relationship that Cameron and Padgett get into is distasteful.

Rae’s acting, although not the best, should be taken lightly since she is not an actor and this is her first “big-budget” film. Every line was delivered with a smile, and hardly any emotion was conveyed — except for the moments where she stares Cameron down. 

Her character is very one dimensional, which is not any fault of her own, but it should be noted that she is neither a likeable or unlikeable character. To put it bluntly, Padgett Sawyer is just forgettable.

Buchanan and Pettis face the same difficulties with their static performances. From the disjointed deliveries of their lines to their awkward poses throughout the film, Pettis and Buchanan are both lackluster. Pettis’ mean girl attitude comes across surface level and forced, while Buchanan’s punk persona is clearly not what he’s comfortable in. 

Racheal Leigh Cook and Matthew Lillard, both stars from the original “She’s All That,” make appearances as Padgett’s hard-working mom and the school’s principal, respectively. Unfortunately, neither Cook nor Lillard revive their roles, which is a missed opportunity.

Goofs in the movie might make it a fun watch as viewers can point out and have a laugh each time an error is spotted. 

For instance, Padgett goes around campus handing out flyers to students when, all of a sudden, she’s shown on camera sticking an empty hand out to students pretending to pass out the fliers; out of the whole stack of papers she handed out three actual flyers! 

But one of the best blunders of the movie is when Rae’s hand disappears in her big karaoke performance. Addison hops on stage for karaoke and sings a clearly auto tuned version of Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream” and while performing a TikTok dance to the song, Addison’s hand and forearm disappear into the green screen as she becomes one with the ocean background.  

The soundtrack of the film, although not stellar, can be acknowledged. Using popular TikTok songs and a cover from the original movie’s soundtrack, “He’s All That” has a soundtrack that is fitting for its intended audience and for the style of movie that it is attempting to achieve.

In terms of style, this movie fails to achieve what it’s going for — a quirky and fun teen rom-com. 

“He’s All That” is not worth the watch; if anything the last 10 minutes might be worth it, but otherwise do not break your back trying to find time to see the movie. 

Despite being a short film, only running an hour and a half, your time would be better spent watching the original, or any other movie for that matter. Disappointing, embarrassing and uncomfortable are the only marks that this film hits.