files photo

Mix water, soap and Dr. Bronner’s solution as a natural insect repellent for the warmer seasons. (Catherine Norby / Daily Titan)

Flies are an annoying seasonal issue to deal with, especially when they find ways into your home. Fortunately, there are things you can do to make the problem a little less miserable this year, without using fly traps. 

Here are seven natural and affordable ways to help keep your home pest-free this year. 

Venus Flytraps and Pitcher Plants

Both of these carnivorous plants are great ways to manage the flies in your home. However, pitcher plants may be more effective for heavier fly problems because venus flytraps can only eat five to ten bugs per month. 

For pitcher plants, each pitcher can consume one to two bugs every two to four weeks. So, depending on how bad your fly problem gets throughout the year, the pitcher plant may be the better investment. 

Regardless of which plant you choose, they will need bright light to thrive. Without bright light they will not produce traps. So, window sills are the best spot. This positioning will work in your favor, especially if flies are getting in through your windows. 

Cayenne pepper spray

Cayenne pepper spray not only works against flies, it also helps prevent a variety of other pests from getting inside. Mix one cup of water with one teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a misting bottle and spray near entryways or wherever flies are gathering. 

This is also a great opportunity to upcycle any old or used cleaning spray bottles instead of buying a new one. 

Diluted Dr. Bronner’s spray

This works the same as cayenne pepper spray, but it might smell a little better in comparison. The best Dr. Bronner’s scent to use will probably be peppermint because flies can be repelled by that smell.  

Mix one tablespoon of the liquid soap with one quart of water and put it into a spray bottle — another great opportunity to upcycle an old cleaning spray bottle — and spray in entryways or anywhere flies gather.  

Lavender

Lavender is another natural scent that can deter insects. There are a variety of ways you can use the smell of lavender to keep flies away from your home. You can plant lavender in your front yard or pot it by your entryway. You can also buy or make a bouquet of lavender inside your house or burn lavender oil near entryways and windows. 

Lavender is also relatively easy to grow. Like the pitcher plant, make sure this plant is located in a place where it can get sunlight. If you decide to pot lavender, make sure to add gravel to ensure the soil drains. 

Vinegar and dish soap

A combination of vinegar and dish soap will make a nice natural trap for flies. Mix an inch of apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap inside a tall glass. Stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the cup, secure it with a rubber band and poke holes through the plastic. 

The flies will be attracted to the vinegar, but upon entering the cup they will be drowned by the dish soap. 

Basil and cloves

The smell of basil is another scent flies can be repelled by. You can buy basil plants to put in the kitchen and have the added benefit of fresh basil for home-cooked meals as well. 

Cloves are also a great natural deterrent that flies hate. Placing a bowl of dried cloves in every room, or just your most affected rooms, will keep flies away. 

Essential oils

Essential oils, like peppermint, lavender, thyme, cinnamon or lemon, can keep flies away. Add ten drops of your chosen essential oil to a spray bottle and mix it with two cups of water and two cups of non-flavored vodka. Like the other mixtures, spray it in all of your entryways or any area where flies gather.