christmas movie

(Cindy Proaño / Daily Titan)

Considering the circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, many are unable to reunite with family and friends, but beloved Christmas classics are here to save the season. 

There are plenty of movies that can turn bad days into good days. ‘Tis the season to be jolly, and right now the world could use more love and laughs than ever before. So grab a blanket, a cup of tea or hot chocolate and celebrate this Christmas with beloved movies.

This run-down kicks off with kid-friendly movies such as “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” “Miracle on 34th Street,” “The Grinch,” “Frosty the Snowman” and “The Santa Clause.” 

These classics are sure to fill the kids with excitement. The films explore the meaning of Christmas, while reminding young viewers that if they are naughty, there will be no gifts from Santa Claus under their tree. 

For viewers of all ages, these movies are sure to put a smile on your face: “Elf,” “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and of course, the “Home Alone” series. Though they keep the kids entertained, there’s still enough humor that appeals to all ages. Parents often get caught up in their kids' lives and it can be easy to forget how to have fun, but these movies are here to bring that cheer back into the heart of any adult. 

For those wishing for an above PG rating, there are plenty of less-wholesome takes on Christmas. “The Best Man Holiday,” “Bad Santa,” and “The Night Before” mix adult humor with holiday spirit for a less classic —but still entertaining — Christmas.

Moving onto the more traditional side of things, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without movies that showcase love and romance. Be sure to check out the Hallmark Channel for a big surprise in this year’s movie selections.

Love is in the air, and whether you are married, single or dating, you will want to see the love that blossoms from two people looking for love in all the wrong places. Without a doubt, these love stories will make your heart melt.

You can always thank the Hallmark Channel for movies such as “My Christmas Dream,” “Coming Home for Christmas,” “A Gingerbread Romance” and “One Royal Holiday.” These love-filled storylines remind viewers that even when they are not looking for love, love will find them anyway.

December is a time many spend with family and friends, but with the current pandemic, many people will live vicariously through their television screens. 

Many Cal State Fullerton students, such as Briana Huerta and Jasmine Contreras, plan to stay home with their families this holiday season.

Though Huerta usually gathers with her cousins and aunts, she said she was thinking of staying home with the immediate family instead, and watching Christmas movies is definitely on the to-do list.

“We’re probably going to watch Christmas movies and make gingerbread houses. If we wait until the last minute, like last year, we had to do the frozen ones like the house. We can do that. And we wait ‘til midnight to open presents, so we do it on Christmas Eve,” Huerta said.

Contreras said being with her family and boyfriend during Christmas is what she’s looking forward to this holiday season. Aside from family time, Contreras said she will be revisiting some of her favorite holiday films.

“This year, I’m looking forward to watching “A Christmas Story” just because I haven’t been able to watch it for a long time because I can’t find it anywhere. But I’m looking forward to watching that and to remember what exactly is going on in there,” Contreras said.

The big holiday parties may not be an option anymore, but Christmas movies are still here to bring in the spirit. When the holidays are brought up, often the first thing that comes to mind is being with family, so why not take the time to grab some hot cocoa, pick a movie and enjoy each other’s company while getting through this pandemic?